Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fishing upper Potomac river question.

Drew, I've had my anchor hang up and have been able to paddle up stream to free it on the Brunswick section. I do enjoy that section but please keep me in mind if you guys want to try further west. I've seen some folks do well with a drag chain. I've been meaning to build one with an old bike entertube but have been too lazy. I generally get stuck in the slack current behind a rock until I get bored and paddle into the flow. N
    PigPen - Mt Airy
    Native Mariner 12.5

I agree with Pigpen. The dumbbell anchor doesn't snag much for me. Just paddle up river and it comes undone. Running the anchor line through the front handle orients the front of the kayak up river. 99% of my Potomac trips over the past decade I haven't even used an anchor. So it's not a necessity. Although with fly fishing, I think it will help a ton.

I highly recommend using a drag chain as your anchor. I bought about a 3’ length of the heaviest chain they had at Lowe’s (decades ago now). Wrapped it in a bike inner tube to quiet it (duct tape also works) and it is very rare to have it hang up. You can raise and lower the amount of chain in contact with the bottom to control speed. I really like it in moderate moving water as it slows you down enough to hit pockets before you get swept downstream.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

I had to cut free an anchor that got stuck a year or so ago. I would paddle up to free it, but the current was strong enough that as soon as I stopped paddling, I would get pushed down stream before I could try and pull it up. It had happened a few times before, but I was able to get right up next to it and free it.

I think I am going to give a chain a try this season, at the very least it's cheaper to replace.
    Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
    Lime Slayer 10

Quote Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
    I highly recommend using a drag chain as your anchor. I bought about a 3’ length of the heaviest chain they had at Lowe’s (decades ago now). Wrapped it in a bike inner tube to quiet it (duct tape also works) and it is very rare to have it hang up. You can raise and lower the amount of chain in contact with the bottom to control speed. I really like it in moderate moving water as it slows you down enough to hit pockets before you get swept downstream.
    Before I go rooting around my local bike shop garbage cans did your chain collect lots of weeds on the river? I'm hoping the chain will help keep my kayak oriented correctly but not slow it down too much on the floats. My kayak has a tendency to spin going down stream.
    PigPen - Mt Airy
    Native Mariner 12.5