Fishing upper Potomac river question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing upper Potomac river question.

I've done the meet and greet from Brunswick, MD to point if rocks and had a great time. I have a buddy that wants to get into kayak fishing and lives in Hagerstown. Is anybody familiar with that part of the river? I'm really just looking for a decent float trip (good put in and take out points) what to expect fishing wise as far as size of smallmouth. Any major hazards in the area. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Desert Camo- Moken 14
    Tan- Tarpon 140

Try this link, http://maryland.maps.arcgis.com/apps...def94&find=608

It shows every single launch point in Maryland.
    2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Also Big Slackwater gets hammered in the Spring and Summer with big boats. The water is really deep there for a lot of miles do too dam #4. So people water ski and pontoon party boats. The more up stream you go the shallower it gets with lots of rocks, so most boats stay South of the railroad bridge. Unless they got jets.
      2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Fishmoken,
        ArcheryRob and I live around the Hagersippy area and fish the Upper Potomac a lot, hit us up if you want to do a float. We have trailers to transport between launch points. I fish dam 5 area a lot in the evenings after work, we avoid big slack water between Williamsport and Dam 4 due to all the boat and jet skiers.

Comment

I really like the area around Taylor's Landing, near Antietam Battlefield.
          From my canoe, I put in at Taylor's (dual ramps split by a ledge) head a couple of miles upstream, above Shepherds Island, and drift down. A mix of ledges and pools.
          The area between Taylor's Landing and Snyder's Landing, down below to Shepherdstown is O.K.

There are no major obstacles, just a couple of ledges, and some current below Shepherd's Island and below Taylor's Landing.

You can set up a shuttle between Dam 4 and any of the next couple of ramps: Taylor's, Snyder's, or in Shepherdstown depending how long you want to be on the water.
          Last edited by bignose; 04-05-2017, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Yea, tell him to PM me or Greg and he can do floats with us. Taylors, Shepardstown or Antietam area would be my after work spot. Right where Antietam creek flows in is a great kayak spot with a cart. When the water is low jet boats can't even get in there and even normal water most don't like running the Dargen shoot to get up there.
            "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

I have waded at Taylors Landing a few times, it getts deep very fast above the ledge at the launch, but there are decent smallies to be had even ~20' up river from the ramp. Downstream looks more promising, but I have never had much luck there. I would love to take my yak out there, but I am very very wary of spots with a lot of current, as all my yaking experience is either impoundments or tidal rivers with little to no current.
              Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
              Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Drew,
                Hit Rob or I up and we will show you how to float that area. nothing to be worried about unless the river is up. Most of the time during the summer you can wade that stretch very easily.

Comment

Try to find a copy of Ken Penrod's excellent book: "Fishing the Upper Potomac River"

I looked on BookFinder.com and they listed several copies for about $30.00.
                  While some of the tackle info may be a bit dated, the geographic features are gonna pretty much remain the same. I mean, how much can a ledge wear down in 25 years?

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for all the great info! I think I will be getting in contact with a few of y'all about setting up a float trip at some point this year. It was a lot of fun at the meet and greet but haven't been back since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Desert Camo- Moken 14
                    Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

Just following up with this, did your buddy ever get out because I’m not sure I heard from him. I spent all last summer on house projects and plan to fish more this year.
                      "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Originally posted by gkreps View Post
                        Drew,
                        Hit Rob or I up and we will show you how to float that area. nothing to be worried about unless the river is up. Most of the time during the summer you can wade that stretch very easily.
                        Can I come in my flat bottom? Lol.

koPHP7R.jpg

Comment

I miss this place. Can't wait for Spring and Summer to arrive. Something like 26 days until March 11th, when time changes!

Comment

We did the upper Potomac float M&G trip last year with Rich.

Fairly shallow water & pedal drive created some challenges.

Do you guys mostly anchor up, or use a stakeout pole? I've also heard of the drift chute, is that a popular method? Even with pedal drive tucking up tight downstream of a large boulder was challenging to keep staionary. Float & Cast seemed to be the preferred method?
                            Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
                              Do you guys mostly anchor up, or use a stakeout pole? I've also heard of the drift chute, is that a popular method? Even with pedal drive tucking up tight downstream of a large boulder was challenging to keep staionary. Float & Cast seemed to be the preferred method?
                              I usually don't use an anchor, but this year I will start bringing one. I find that stake out poles don't work so well for me in faster current, rocky bottoms, or deeper water. My anchor is one of those plastic coated small exercise dumb bells with paracord tied to it. I run the rope through the front carry handle and use an anchor cleat to secure it.

For the most part I paddle around, drift, and park my kayak on shore or on rocks/ledges. I like to periodically get out and stretch my legs and fish. My trips on the Potomac are almost always single point. I will launch, paddle up river, fish along the way and drift back to the start. Alternatively, I will launch, drift down river, carry over to the C & O Canal, and paddle back up to my car.

Comment

Working...
                              X