Suggestions - Keeping Kids Warm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions - Keeping Kids Warm

My primary fishing partner is going to be my 5yo. I'd like to get him out on the water, but should we take an unexpected swim, I'd like to keep him as warm as possible, at least until the water temps around here reach a decent number. I haven't found a drysuit that would fit him and honestly don't want to pay $300+ dollars for something he'll outgrow in a few months.

I've found a wetsuit that would fit him, but that might get toasty in warm weather. Then again, with the wetsuit route, I can let him jump off the kayak to cool off.

Any suggestions?
    "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
    Jackson Cuda 12

I started taking my son out last summer. He will be 3 in July. I personally won't take him out again until the water gets to a safe temp. In the beginning, I think its best to take them in optimal conditions so they will have a good experience.
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Agree w/ Shady. With a five year old, wait for the water to get warm. Keep it fun now and he is good for a lifetime of rewards. One bad experience at his age and you might make him a land lubber for life!
      ST

Comment

Thanks for the replies!

I'll definitely keep him off big water until its warmer, and if were any other kid, I would keep him off all water until its warmer. I swear he should've been born with gills instead of lungs. If there is water to be found, he's in it. I told him when it gets warmer that we were going to flip the yak so we could practice getting back in. You know, I'm thinking I'm preparing him for something that he'll find unpleasant. Now he wont stop bugging me. Can we flip the kayak dad? Can we flip the kayak dad? Can I jump off to see how cold it is?

Reminds me of me when I was young. Used to wade in the spring for trout without waders. Old guys used to ask me if I was crazy. I used to tell them it only hurt until your feet go numb then your fine.
        "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
        Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Working...
        X