Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying home in DE

Hi all,
    Last Nov I introduced myself and asked about places to fish in DE.

As I stated, I'm retiring and planning to move here.
    Well, the wheels on now in motion.
    I'll be in DE in May looking for a home to buy.

I would like to have your opinion on the following:
    If you are a kayak and fly fisherman, and could choose any city (or town) to buy a house in, which would it be?

I would really appreciate your opinions.
    Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Delaware wouldn't be my first choice for a place to buy a home in regards to fishing. All I can tell you is homes are substantially cheaper in Kent and Sussex county as long as you aren't near the "beach". The traffic is also a lot less further down south as long as you avoid the routes the beach travelers take on the weekend.

I can't give you any advice on buying a fishing related home in Delaware. I personally would look in MD before DE for a place to buy for fishing. There are alot more water front homes on nicer bodies of water that aren't the "beach" with the exorbanate pricing.
    1980 Something Old Town Canoe
    2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
    2015 Coosa HD
    2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
    2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

Comment

Thanks for the input

Comment

I think DE taxes are more favorable for retirement. I would check out Lewes as it seems to have a fairly active "old guys" fly fishing club.
        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Delaware has a lot more tax advantages then MD. No sales tax, cheaper property tax, favorable retirement taxes. Memorial Day through Labor Day is always busy with seasonal traffic. It depends on what you are looking for. I like the Frankford/Selbyville area. 50 minutes to Lewes, 20 minutes to Assateague, 1 1/4 hours to Chincoteague, 45 minutes to Pocomoke. 1 3/4 hours to CBBT. As stated previously the further from the Atlantic Ocean the better the deal.
          Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
          Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Originally posted by Salty Dog View Post
            Delaware has a lot more tax advantages then MD. No sales tax, cheaper property tax, favorable retirement taxes. Memorial Day through Labor Day is always busy with seasonal traffic. It depends on what you are looking for. I like the Frankford/Selbyville area. 50 minutes to Lewes, 20 minutes to Assateague, 1 1/4 hours to Chincoteague, 45 minutes to Pocomoke. 1 3/4 hours to CBBT. As stated previously the further from the Atlantic Ocean the better the deal.
            Thanks
            Will look into this. The reason I picked DE is for the taxes and the proximity to my kids in NJ and NY.

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
              I think DE taxes are more favorable for taxes. I would check out Lewes as it seems to have a fairly active "old guys" fly fishing club.
              Thanks for your input.
              Ya your right. I'll be looking for the "old guys" fly fishing club.

Comment

Delaware beats Maryland hands down for retirees. Maryland is ALWAYS in the Top-5 for taxes. Delaware is always in the Top-5 for cheapest places for retirees, and overall tax burden. Just choosing that right location in Delaware is the key.

Great Choice, and great kayak fishing and fly fishing within 1 1/2 hours of most locations from there.

Yak67
                2016 Hobie PA-12 Camo
                2016 Hobie Outback LE #217

Comment

Originally posted by Yak67 View Post
                  Delaware beats Maryland hands down for retirees. Maryland is ALWAYS in the Top-5 for taxes. Delaware is always in the Top-5 for cheapest places for retirees, and overall tax burden. Just choosing that right location in Delaware is the key.

Great Choice, and great kayak fishing and fly fishing within 1 1/2 hours of most locations from there.

Yak67
                  2016 Hobie PA-12 Camo
                  2016 Hobie Outback LE #217
                  Thanks
                  That seems to be the concenus.

Comment

Working...
                  X