Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One lonely Tautog (The Inner Wall at CHSP, DE – Apr 2, 2017)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One lonely Tautog (The Inner Wall at CHSP, DE – Apr 2, 2017)

Someone has to fish first for the year at the Inner Wall.

I fished the Inner Wall off CHSP (Cape Henlopen State Park), DE for tautog. It was the first trip to DE this year. I didn’t expect much action because the water temp just came up to 46 F for 2 days.

The NW wind at 10 knots wasn’t good for the Inner Wall fishing at all. Though the wind was supposed to subside in the afternoon.
    It was hard to fish due to the waves. I lost 6 rigs - it wasn't that bad considering the waves.

I had only 4 bites all day. One bite wasn’t a tautog bite. I missed 2 tautog bites, then I landed a 14” tautog.
    The wind stopped blowing, and the water was dead calm when I had to stop fishing.

I think the next weekend will be good for togging as long as the weather permits.

Fishing Log:

Thanks
    Joe
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 04-03-2017, 09:44 PM.
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

thanks for the report! you go hard... I would of turnaround after one hour...
    2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Thanks for the report Joe, I had been wondering about the inner wall

Comment

Originally posted by chimo View Post
        Thanks for the report Joe, I had been wondering about the inner wall
        I hoped for a few early keeper togs (Because the water was warmer than usual in the mid-March this year). Because I had a hard time to locate a crack and stay in the crack for 7 hours, 4 bites for the whole day is misleading. I think there were more togs, but I couldn't locate them. one bite seemed like a toad fish bite. Toad fish appear after the togs in the spring. Depending on the current weather trend, Togs will bite in two weeks for sure.

Joe
        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Thanks for the report Joe. That water looked pretty stained and it's hard to catch Tog in water like that.
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Thanks, Joe. I'm entertaining the idea of trying to get out Sunday morning early for tog in OC. Water should warm rest of the week and be real good by next week.
            Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
              Thanks for the report Joe. That water looked pretty stained and it's hard to catch Tog in water like that.
              The water was very stained. Clearer water came in during the incoming tide. But it went around the inner wall.

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
                Thanks, Joe. I'm entertaining the idea of trying to get out Sunday morning early for tog in OC. Water should warm rest of the week and be real good by next week.
                Yes. I think togs will bite this coming weekend. The water temp will continuously rise.

Joe

Comment

I think I am going to try the inner wall this Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by mike o View Post
                    I think I am going to try the inner wall this Sunday.
                    I think you will get keepers base on the current water temp and trend. The upper bay water is warmer than the ocean water (48 F)

Sunday 04/09/17 Tide:
                    • High: 10:15 AM
                    • Low: 02:15 PM
                    • High: 08:15 PM

Water Temp Today 04/06/17 at 5:00 AM
                    • Inner wall: 49 F
                    • Ocean: 48 F
                    • Upper DE Bay: 50 F

I left my pool noodle anchor float because the anchor was stuck whin 10 minutes of fishing. I forgot about the float when I fished the other spots. During the low tide you will see two rocks west of the float. The cracks/holes around the rocks are one of my good spots. I brought a short anchor line by mistake. So I couldn't fish around the rocks when anchored. I needed a 25' anchor line, not the 12' line.

Joe
                    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 04-06-2017, 05:24 AM.

Comment

I normally fish Indian river I let but have never fished chap. I haul my outback on a trailer. Is there trailer parking there and what's the launch like? Thanks

Comment

I fished Cape Henlopen yesterday. I had a couple of bites but did not catch any. I'm not sure of the water temp. because my fish finder was not working, One guy there told me he got two keepers but I didn't see them.

Comment

There is a parking lot there. I haven't seen any trailers there but don't know if it would be a problem. There is a 50 or 60 yards of sand between the parking lot and the water.

Comment

Working...
                          X