Thread: Rocky Gorge Mico Fishing

Default Rocky Gorge Mico Fishing

Also lost a micro pike when it bumped into the side of the kayak.

Were you using your micro jigs?

Any catch at this time of year when most of us are starved for pullage is impressive.

Good job.
    Mark

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

Haha. Nope! I was cranking with a spinning rod, but only found puny guys. That was my first Rocky Gorge striper. So that was a fun catch. Too much wind made the paddle no bueno.

I'm wondering if that Striper is a stocked one or if they're naturally reproducing in there... hmm
    Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
    Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
    Northern Pike: 24 inches
    Crappie: 12 inches
    Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Quote Originally Posted by perchy View Post
    I'm wondering if that Striper is a stocked one or if they're naturally reproducing in there... hmm
    That's a good question Perchy. I wonder how long it takes for a reservoir striper/rockfish to grow to a length of 13 inches. It was a neat fish and very healthy looking. It stayed down and did not jump.

Here's my micro fish entry:

P1020608.jpg

I nailed this behemoth on a wooly bugger in Smithville Lake near Denton today. Don't laugh...It takes great skill to sense such a minute bite and to hook the little devil on a fly and then bring it to the boat without sending it airborne.

The tiny bluegill was actually much harder to catch than this fish that hooked itself onto my bullet head darter and swam in circles for a while until I subdued it with my 6 wt.

P1020599.jpg

I'd like to tell you there were a lot of fish in between those two above but there weren't. Today's pervasive winds really cut down on the fishable spots with a fly rod. I did toss a popper for a few casts before departing and actually got a swirl from below but no hookup. I think it won't be long until the freshwater surface bite starts for real.
    Mark

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

Mark, you are making me laugh about the great skill to sense your micro bluegill bite. haha

Quote Originally Posted by DanMarino View Post
    Mark, you are making me laugh about the great skill to sense your micro bluegill bite. haha
    Actually, I thought I had hooked an emerging lily pad. I was trying to not bury the hook deep in the stem of the plant and all of a sudden I noticed my line was moving. You have to wonder what these bluegills are thinking to try to eat something larger than their stomachs.
    Mark

Available on Amazon.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Don't laugh...It takes great skill to sense such a minute bite and to hook the little devil on a fly and then bring it to the boat without sending it airborne.
    The first time I went Trout fishing with a fly rod, I hooked what I thought was a rising trout, and promptly threw a very surprised fallfish over my shoulder as I set the hook.
    If I hadn't ducked out of reflex, it would have hit me in the face.