Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to Expect?

Hello All,

I sort of found this forum by chance, but I'm glad I did. Thank you for taking the time to read this post.

So, my girlfriend and I are moving back to Chesapeake from Moyock in September 2017 (I lived in Chesapeake from 2004 to 2010) and we found a great neighborhood with a kayak launch into the Elizabeth River, very close to Great Bridge Lock Park.

I have been going crazy excitedly looking at kayaks to purchase. I'll spare you the debate on what is better, I am having fun with that myself. But, if you have a Jackson Kilroy DT, I would love to chat with you.

My question is, what kind of fishing can I expect in that area? I have read up on the decline and improvement of the area, I have read about the famous hot ditch and its closure. But whats it like out there now?

I imagine being able to drop a kayak in and around the locks and little areas north like Bells Mill Creek will be amazing to fish, but I have no reference. Any information you good folks would like to share would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much for your input,
    Dave

Welcome to the site Dave!
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

I don't know anything specific about that section of the Elizabeth River but there are lots of areas around there for Stripers, Tautog, Sheephead, Flounder, Redfish, Specs etc etc depending on the time of year. Comeonfish's reports are a good place to start

Comment

Welcome to the site. If you want a break from salt water you also have good freshwater access on the James River. You have MONSTER catfish and further up you have a lot of good smallmouth fishing.

There is a lot of information out there on fishing your area. Rudee Inlet is a good place also. Plenty of variety in that area.

Comment

Thanks for the info!

I might be the first person on this forum to report in from my neck of the woods.

May be being a bit more selfish, I want to stay in my neighborhood. Altho a 30 mile kayak trip to the James from my house sounds like an adventure. I know I could drive there, but I am just looking to utilize the launch in my development.

Thanks again!

Comment

Hey Dave,

welcome to the forum! Not many post on here from VA, but on Tidewater Kayak Anglers Association forum site you could find more information about that specific spot. There's a few folks who fish there frequently in the colder months I believe.

I'm not far from Chesapeake, but there are many places to choose from in the area for launching for fresh and saltwater. Rudee is a nice starting location to get your bearings and catch some nice fish.
            J

Comment

Thanks Jake!

I was just looking the other day on where to drop in at Rudee.

I am very new to all this, so getting my sea legs in my own backyard is my starting point. Maybe someday I'll see you out there

Comment

Working...
              X