Piney Point Lighthouse Launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piney Point Lighthouse Launch

Does anyone have the combo for the gate in case I get back late and it's locked? New to that area for launching.

Keith

If that's the case, just use the beach or launch from the St. George bridge launch
    Tight lines
    Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
    Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
    Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
    Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

The official launch at the lighthouse is actually into the creek the surrounds the gas storage tanks and not the Potomac. If you launch there you'll need to get out at some point and drag your kayak across a short stretch of land/beach to get to the Potomac. You can park on the street near the turnaround at the lighthouse proper and drag your kayak down to the beach from there, but technically it's trespassing if you are there during closed hours. You're far better off launching at the Piney Point launch at the bridge. There is also a small kayak launch towards the end of St George's Island that has a small pier but no ramp and limited parking. That launch puts you close to the large rip rap wall guarding the "harbor" area.
      Mike
      Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Also, the best winds to fish at Piney Point are out of the north or west to fish on the Potomac side. Anything above 10 mph out of the southwest or south makes the Potomac side very difficult to fish. There is a mini wind pattern there that seems to blow 5-10 above forecast for surrounding areas, Yak67 and I have had to change plans many times when we've shown up and found whitecaps breaking from supposedly light winds. You can get into the creek side in most winds but not out of the east.
        Mike

Comment

Just so I'm straight... is it OK to park in the lot by the museum and carry your yak on the walk path past the bell and the lighthouse, and over to the big pier on the Potomac side and launch?

Thanks

Comment

There is a no trespassing during non museum hours sign on the gate they close leading to the lighthouse, so technically you shouldn't be on the grounds. I have no idea how strictly that is enforced. It's perhaps a mile and a half from the bridge launch out to the gas docks. Following the curve of the shore between the bridge and gas docks usually produces fish for me so I've never launched at the lighthouse - no need to find out when there is a perfectly good legal launch near by and I can catch fish on the way.
            Mike

Comment

Thanks for the info everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
                Also, the best winds to fish at Piney Point are out of the north or west to fish on the Potomac side. Anything above 10 mph out of the southwest or south makes the Potomac side very difficult to fish. There is a mini wind pattern there that seems to blow 5-10 above forecast for surrounding areas, Yak67 and I have had to change plans many times when we've shown up and found whitecaps breaking from supposedly light winds. You can get into the creek side in most winds but not out of the east.
                Yeah, you're right Mike- especially when the tides are going out with a south wind- it can be a real washing machine ride inside the creek and outside the bridge- it chops up faster than I could believe- goes from flat calm to 3 foot chop on top of white caps in just a few minutes...and an incoming with north winds produce the exact same conditions...east winds, west winds...you can manage- light to moderate 5-10 mph north and south winds are mostly OK until the peak tide flows...
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

they'll give you the combo at tge museum. Just ask.
                  14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                  2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X