Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tautog & Puppy Drum (CBBT & Rudee, VA, Mar 30, 2017)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tautog & Puppy Drum (CBBT & Rudee, VA, Mar 30, 2017)

Again, I fished both CBBT (Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel) and Rudee in VA.

My plan/goal was that I catch a couple of tautog (black fish) early in the morning and catch few good size specks.
    I know it would be rough later, but I figured it would be fish-able until 10:30 AM at CBBT.

The first fish caught was a conger eel. I thought that conger eel meant the water was warm enough for tautog.
    I kept two keeper togs at 16” and 18”. I couldn’t land two good size tautog. I left the bridge at 10:30 AM because it was hard to fish for tautog due to the high waves around the pilings.

After lunch, I went to Rudee. I hoped I catch some good size specks. Trolled and cast for specks but I didn’t catch any specks. Anyway I caught 5 puppy drum. Two were at 18” and 20”. Two puppy drum at 21” and 16” got away.

Fishing Log:

Thanks
    Joe
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 03-31-2017, 08:10 PM.
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Nice catch Joe! Those swells were huge on the pilings. I'm going to Rudee tomorrow in the morning - I'll post how it goes. I took your advice on rigging and safety gear, so I think I'm ready for CBBT on a much calmer day.
    J

Comment

Originally posted by Jman View Post
      Nice catch Joe! Those swells were huge on the pilings. I'm going to Rudee tomorrow in the morning - I'll post how it goes. I took your advice on rigging and safety gear, so I think I'm ready for CBBT on a much calmer day.
      I had an Adventager. And I was in 3' chops many time over 7-8 hours. I never get 2 gal in the hull.

Anyway,
      Remember the pilings we fished. That bridge column is for incoming. The one next I pointed (we didn't fish) is for out going.

Tomorrow, on Sunday, plan to be there the piling we fished, by 9:30 AM. Try the one we didn't fish during the outgoing tide. It is the ocean side bridge column. It may be a little strong outgoing current when you start. You may use a 5 OZ sinker. The current will slow down then you may use a 4 OZ sinker. You should get 3-4 tautogs and other trash fish there. I couldn't land two big ones there because 1) the reel came off the reel seat --- A major user error, 2) braided line got wrapped around the rod top very badly (another user error). I couldn't hand-pull them. Eventually they got away. Once the current becomes incoming, try the column we fished (middle column). Again a 4 - 5 OZ sinker based on the strength of the incoming current. Once the current is too strong, come back, no reason to wait another 3-4 hours for the current changes.

Remember the shrimp? You can use a half of my shrimp. It doesn't have to be a whole shrimp.

I bet you get 3 keepers tomorrow. NW wind is good for both incoming and outgoing togging at the tw0 bridge columns. God Luck!!!!

Joe
      Last edited by ComeOnFish; 04-01-2017, 12:22 PM.
      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Looks like some fun fishing conditions. Tog dont seem to mind rough conditions in my experience either. Maybe even better with some waves crashing.Nice job on the keepers. Hope I can make time for a trip soon before tog stop biting.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
          Looks like some fun fishing conditions. Tog dont seem to mind rough conditions in my experience either. Maybe even better with some waves crashing.Nice job on the keepers. Hope I can make time for a trip soon before tog stop biting.
          Togs started biting way early this year. I hope I see you soon.

joe

Comment

Working...
          X