Screws and Nuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screws and Nuts

Simple question from a noob: what size machine screw do you guys use? Is there a standard size or should I look at getting a variety? Also, when you screw, what type of nut is the best? When I screw I want to use the right nut. I think there is a joke in there somewhere...
    2015 Hobie Revolution 11

I use lots of size 8-10 stainless screws/botls and if it's on something I wish to be permanent spring for locking nuts that have the nylon inserts.
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

I use well nuts, pretty easy to install and a great seal.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

I think #10 SS bolts/nuts tend to be a standard size. Tractor Supply Company sells packages of them for a couple bucks each--tends to be a bit cheaper than Home Depot or Lowes.

If you size the bolt correctly and get the right length, a locknut works well. Remember to use a washer--you're almost always better off.
        I need a good paddling

Motorized 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12
        Garmin Echomap 93sv
        RIP, favorite St. Croix Rod

Comment

Originally posted by Huntrava View Post
          I think #10 SS bolts/nuts tend to be a standard size. Tractor Supply Company sells packages of them for a couple bucks each--tends to be a bit cheaper than Home Depot or Lowes.

If you size the bolt correctly and get the right length, a locknut works well. Remember to use a washer--you're almost always better off.
          Home Depot the small quantity packages of SS nut and bolts are $1.18ea. I know I work there in the hardware dept...lol The prices at West Marine are higher because the carry 316 Marine grade SS there is a difference it is more resistant to corrosion.

Comment

Perhaps most of you know this but I didn't...

Stainless steel will not adhere to a magnet. I learned the hard way. I once spilled a large container of small stainless steel nuts, washers and screws on my lawn. I thought, no problem, I'll "sweep" them up with a strong magnet. It didn't work.

So if you come across an unidentified screw and want to know if it is stainless before you use it on your kayak, you can test it with a magnet.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
              Perhaps most of you know this but I didn't...

Stainless steel will not adhere to a magnet. I learned the hard way. I once spilled a large container of small stainless steel nuts, washers and screws on my lawn. I thought, no problem, I'll "sweep" them up with a strong magnet. It didn't work.

So if you come across an unidentified screw and want to know if it is stainless before you use it on your kayak, you can test it with a magnet.

As Oldbayrunner suggests, not all stainless steel has the same corrosion resistance or resistance to magnetic attraction. After reading Mark's comment, I went to my basement and dumped out onto my workbench a container holding miscellaneous stainless nuts, bolts, screws, and washers I have bought over the years. I placed a strong magnet over the pile and found that 10%-20% of the hardware was attracted to the magnet. Visually, those items looked identical in appearance to the ones not attracted to the magnet.

In a second test, I went into my kitchen and held a refrigerator magnet against four "stainless" appliances. The magnet stuck to the Kitchenaid refrigerator and dishwasher, but did not stick to the GE stove and microwave.

Mark's magnetic test is a good first step (if the hardware does not stick to a magnet, it is stainless or some other non-ferrous metal). However, some hardware sold as stainless will stick to a magnet. It may still offer reasonable protection from rusting compared to regular steel hardware.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                As Oldbayrunner suggests, not all stainless steel has the same corrosion resistance or resistance to magnetic attraction. After reading Mark's comment, I went to my basement and dumped out onto my workbench a container holding miscellaneous stainless nuts, bolts, screws, and washers I have bought over the years. I placed a strong magnet over the pile and found that 10%-20% of the hardware was attracted to the magnet. Visually, those items looked identical in appearance to the ones not attracted to the magnet.

In a second test, I went into my kitchen and held a refrigerator magnet against four "stainless" appliances. The magnet stuck to the Kitchenaid refrigerator and dishwasher, but did not stick to the GE stove and microwave.

Mark's magnetic test is a good first step (if the hardware does not stick to a magnet, it is stainless or some other non-ferrous metal). However, some hardware sold as stainless will stick to a magnet. It may still offer reasonable protection from rusting compared to regular steel hardware.
                Here is a case in point:

P1020593.jpg P1020594.jpg

These are Native brand paddle holders. They're mounted in the gear track on my starboard gunnel of my Ultimate 12. I use them to hold my paddle when I fly fish in lieu of resting the paddle in my lap as I do when I use conventional tackle. As you can see, there is a little rust on the screws. However, they are not attracted to my magnet. They must be stainless to some degree. Fortunately, none of the factory installed screws on my Native kayak itself show any rust. The same goes for my Hobie.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

400 series stainless steel is magnetic and some can be heat treated 410, 416, 422, 17-4-PH...and it will slightly rust with a very light surface rust- it is extremely strong...300 series will not rust...and is not magnetic...high nickel content- 302, 304, 306 stainless are the most common
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

As an alternative, I've used the plastic trigrip rivets with success with a touch of goop. These are for padeyes where I may clamp pliers, or even attach a rodleash. I'm told they can hold more permanent things, but have not tried them with anything that is likely to put a great deal or torque on the pedeye.
                    Red 2015 Hobie Outback
                    Olive 2015 PA 14

Comment

Working...
                    X