Potomac River/ Chain Bridge Shad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pungomd View Post
    So you cannot call the DNR , as it is DC and the DC police and the one ranger could really care. I would say, most of the people snagging down there are snagging snakeheads which is sort of legal. I am glad you had a blast, Chain Bridge remains among the most interesting places to fish I have ever been.

Yes, the Potomac River east/south of Chain Bridge and just west/north of the bridge is DC water, and the land between the river and the canal on the DC side of the river is national parkland. The VA side is either VA or national park - not sure.

I observed a lot of disturbing things in my last two trips - snagging shad with a weighted treble, using cast nets, killing/keeping shad, and littering. The snagging was definitely targeted to shad, or at least killing a lot of shad. I called DC Dept of Energy and Environment to report what I saw. I would encourage others to do the same thing. The people I spoke to did seem very concerned and were appreciative of the report. It seems there have been issues with authority and capacity, but if they get enough reports/complaints this becomes a bigger priority. This is the person to write or call is:

Daniel P. Conner
    Special Assistant to the Director, External Affairs
    Department of Energy & Environment
    Government of the District of Columbia
    1200 First Street NE, 5th Floor
    Washington, DC 20002
    Desk: (202) 741-2138
    Cell: (202) 329-6036
    Michael
    Washington, DC
    Hobie Outback

Comment

Potomac River/ Chain Bridge Shad

Originally posted by Rhino View Post
      This is the person to write or call is:

Daniel P. Conner
      Special Assistant to the Director, External Affairs
      Department of Energy & Environment
      Government of the District of Columbia
      1200 First Street NE, 5th Floor
      Washington, DC 20002
      Desk: (202) 741-2138
      Cell: (202) 329-6036

Awesome! Thanks for the info. You'd think they would at least use hook and line to catch and keep them, instead of being glaringly obvious. it's not hard to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by jsnyd86; 04-20-2017, 03:31 PM.
      -Jon
      Revo 13

Comment

Originally posted by pungomd View Post
        So you cannot call the DNR , as it is DC and the DC police and the one ranger could really care. I would say, most of the people snagging down there are snagging snakeheads which is sort of legal. I am glad you had a blast, Chain Bridge remains among the most interesting places to fish I have ever been.
        Yep, I dish there a lot and I'm good friends with the fletchers boat house people, today I watched them snag a ton of snakeheads, and huge ones,
        They are primarily targeting snakeheads,
        You wouldn't believe how many I saw them snag today..
        the shad fishing is better downstream
        And yeah
        The Dnr does nothing there and dc doesn't enforce anything..
        they cast net for herring there also,
        Who knows how many rockfish get poached there, but up at chain bridge, especially at night it's ridiculous..
        headlamps up and down the shore at night.

But anyway not much to do and the rest of the fisherman there are really respectful..

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
        X