Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paint Branch Stream @ University of Maryland (bank fishin)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint Branch Stream @ University of Maryland (bank fishin)

Hello all,

So as the title states, I was not in a kayak during this trip... hopefully I am not breaking any rules here. I am just excited to share my first fish of 2017! These aren’t anything to brag about by a long shot from Steph Curry, but when you are terrible at catching fish like me you have to take what you can get.

Paint Branch is a tributary of the Northeast Branch Anacostia River.

BRANCH UMD.jpg

I chose this location because I have fished here before and caught a few sunfish and some bass in the 1.5lb range. I have seen them much larger in this stream though when sight fishing, so that has prompted me to come back to this spot on about 5 occasions total now. There are tons of large holes all up and down this specific area I was in, which is probably no more than 150 feet of the bank that I have fished. There are tons of huge boulders to stand on and get good vantage points to see exactly what is swimming around in there....

I caught about 4 creek chub, all in the 9-10ich range, here is one of the larger ones from the day
    chub 2.jpg

As I walked up stream I found a few bass and caught about 5 of them, all in the same 9-10 inch range.
    bass 3.jpg

Also saw a good sized cray fish that I almost stepped on...
    cray cray.jpg

It was 70degrees but the water was pretty cold. The times I have seen the larger bass cruisin around was summer 2016. I honestly didn’t expect to see any bass during this season, I was actually hoping for some yellow perch, but I am unsure if they travel up small creeks like this. I have always heard of them being in much larger tributary rivers. All in all this was a good day and fun to get out and fish. Pulling the kayak out soon though!

-Tim H
    YakCruisin
    Last edited by TimHVids; 03-30-2017, 10:07 AM.
    -TimH

Perception Striker

That is one heck of a crayfish!

Were you inside of outside of the 495 beltway? Looks like Paint Branch runs all the way up past 20 and past the ICC/200
    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
      That is one heck of a crayfish!

Were you inside of outside of the 495 beltway? Looks like Paint Branch runs all the way up past 20 and past the ICC/200
      Inside, right behind "The Varsity" student housing center for UMD.

It goes pretty far, there is even a Paint Branch Park farther upstream. Based on the map the headwaters are in Silver Spring, MD. Im obsessed with watersheds and streams so I may go check that out too. Just curious as to what generally 'starts' a stream and what produces the water flow...
      -TimH

Perception Striker

Comment

Nice outing.

Any pullage is a success at this time of year when we're much more anxious to fish than the fish are to bite.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Nice report. I've fished areas of that stream and always caught fish.
          I encourage everyone to be mindful of publicizing the specifics for small streams and ponds. I have seen similar places devastated by the bucket brigade of fishermen who keep and eat anything the catch.
          Keep up the reports, photos, and good fishing. Lots of places to explore around the area that people forget or never notice.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
            Nice outing.

Any pullage is a success at this time of year when we're much more anxious to fish than the fish are to bite.
            My thoughts exactly...

off topic I showed my grandfather your photos from Beachwood back in february, we have been itching to get over there but we are never off at the same time lol.
            -TimH

Perception Striker

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
              Nice report. I've fished areas of that stream and always caught fish.
              I encourage everyone to be mindful of publicizing the specifics for small streams and ponds. I have seen similar places devastated by the bucket brigade of fishermen who keep and eat anything the catch.
              Keep up the reports, photos, and good fishing. Lots of places to explore around the area that people forget or never notice.
              I hear ya. I tend to think that those on this site werent the type to exploit a place like this but I guess you never know when it comes to lurkers...

For the record all fish were released without harm.
              -TimH

Perception Striker

Comment

Originally posted by TimHVids View Post
                My thoughts exactly...

off topic I showed my grandfather your photos from Beachwood back in february, we have been itching to get over there but we are never off at the same time lol.
                Now that's ironic. I just returned from Beachwood with another zero for my efforts. I did see several ospreys, including this one perched:

A.jpg

That's a sure sign of spring and better fishing trips at Beachwood and elsewhere to come.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                  Now that's ironic. I just returned from Beachwood with another zero for my efforts. I did see several ospreys, including this one perched:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21144[/ATTACH]

That's a sure sign of spring and better fishing trips at Beachwood and elsewhere to come.
                  Pretty neat, reminds me that I need to grab some binoculars for my outings to places like Beachwood. Spring is immenent, with this weather I wouldnt be surprised if you took a picture of that same tree tomorrow and it had full spring foliage.
                  -TimH

Perception Striker

Comment

Originally posted by TimHVids View Post
                    Inside, right behind "The Varsity" student housing center for UMD.

It goes pretty far, there is even a Paint Branch Park farther upstream. Based on the map the headwaters are in Silver Spring, MD. Im obsessed with watersheds and streams so I may go check that out too. Just curious as to what generally 'starts' a stream and what produces the water flow...
                    I fish Northwest Branch fairly often, as I have a close friend who lives very close to it in Takoma Park. It holds a far nicer class of bass then I expected it too. It takes a bit of walking to get them, anything within a mile of parking is usually very very pressured.

I was very into wade fishing last season and was pleased to discover that most all of the small rivers and streams around here do hold (small) bass and many of them have little to no fishing pressure.
                    Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                    Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Originally posted by bunnielab View Post
                      I fish Northwest Branch fairly often, as I have a close friend who lives very close to it in Takoma Park. It holds a far nicer class of bass then I expected it too. It takes a bit of walking to get them, anything within a mile of parking is usually very very pressured.

I was very into wade fishing last season and was pleased to discover that most all of the small rivers and streams around here do hold (small) bass and many of them have little to no fishing pressure.
                      Nice I want to check out NW branch, especially downstream from Burnt Mills. In fact some guy just caught a few nice trout from that area on the DNR anglers log. So it makes me wonder if trout travel up the NE branch..?

I need to pick up some full body waders so I can do the same!!
                      -TimH

Perception Striker

Comment

Working...
                      X