Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you carry for an emergency patch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you carry for an emergency patch?

I did a couple of searches but couldn't find anything.

What do you carry as an emergency patch for your yak? Is Hippo Patch any good? (recommended by Colorado kayakers) How about West Marine epoxy? How about Gorilla Duct tape?

I have not had any issues to date, but I noticed a couple of light gouges in my hull and it started me wondering what I would do if I started taking on water on a fishing trip.
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Discussion on another board about self adhesive roof roll from big box hardware is an option. Flex tape was also discussed. PM if you want the link. Not sure I'm allowed to post it here.

Comment

I have seen infomercials for FlexSeal and FlexTape. They make their products sound like the ideal solution. A TV station tested the products and gave them a thumbs up see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5Yr...ature=youtu.be.

I have never used the product and have no financial association with the company.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I've seen the info on the board that you reference. Thanks for the offer.
        John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

John V.

If seen the commercials and they remind me of Ron Popeil's stuff that he sold as RONCO. I don't know if I could trust my life to a RONCO like product.
          John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

For an emergency situation the extra strength gorilla tape should do the job. As long as you can get to land, dry the kayak off and get a good seal on the tape it should get you back home. When I had deeper cuts in the hull of my kayak I did epoxy over them but I would do that at home, never on the water. I tried jp water weld but that stuff never lasted more then a few weeks. Epoxy over the trouble issues if you can't make it to a shop to have it plastic welded. Then carry the tape as an emergency patch. I can't imagine needing more then that. I've epoxied over a pin hole leek in my moken and it has been holding strong for over a year no leaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Desert Camo- Moken 14
            Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

I was hoping someone would say Gorilla tape. It is easy to come by and easy to apply if need be. Now it is in my front hatch.
              John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Originally posted by john from md View Post
                I was hoping someone would say Gorilla tape. It is easy to come by and easy to apply if need be. Now it is in my front hatch.
                I used regular duct tape for small cracks on many rental kayaks in Caribbean Islands. It was done before the launch on the sand. I used to bring Electrical and Duct tapes to the island. But not anymore because they are available nowadays. Gorilla tape will be fine. I carry Duct tape in my truck for temporary fix. For the above waterline, I think I will carry a small portion of duct seal in my tackle box.

I am not sure if I can apply Flex tape to the bottom of the hull while I am in the water. It seems you need to apply the tape very quickly to stick it to the hull underwater.

Joe
                Last edited by ComeOnFish; 04-05-2017, 09:19 PM.
                Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

used tear-aid on some small holes in my first kayak----the old gift horse.

6 years later, still there, never a leak since....and as guys know, I really used that boat hard

Available at west marine
                  14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                  2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

What do you carry as an emergency patch for your yak? Is Hippo Patch any good? (recommended by Colorado kayakers) How about West Marine epoxy? How about Gorilla Duct tape?

I have not had any issues to date, but I noticed a couple of light gouges in my hull and it started me wondering what I would do if I started taking on water on a fishing trip.
                    Nothing...If I started taking on water I would head in as fast as I could and then deal with the problem on dry land..
                    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                      Nothing...If I started taking on water I would head in as fast as I could and then deal with the problem on dry land..
                      I check my hull for water very often (every 5 minutes). Only once, I pedaled very hard for 2 miles to beach the kayak because I saw unusual amount of water in the hull. It was a false alarm. I was in 1.5-2 foot wave, and the kayak was anchored. The anchor line was attached to the stern and I had about 25 LB (tackle bag, large cooler with ice and a couple of chum blocks) behind the seat. The water came in through the 4 rudder line holes. So from that point on I kept chum blocks or heavy items under the bow hatch.

Joe
                      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

If you see my kayak, you won't worry about light gouges at all. I always worry about kayakers who drag their kayaks on concrete and asphalt surface. Eventually there will be a hole on the corner of the stern hull.

Joe
                        Last edited by ComeOnFish; 04-07-2017, 05:04 AM.

Comment

tear aid will also patch rubber, neoprene and breathable waders, wet or dry suits, and sticks to poly pretty well so once you have paddled to shore, you can patch and keep fishing.
                          14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                          2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Working...
                          X