Sun protection - apparel, lotion and accessories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sun protection - apparel, lotion and accessories

Quick question: What do you guys do for sun protection?

I like a good tan but really not looking forward to looking like beef jerky by end of the season. Anyone wear pants through out the season?

Burn.jpg

"Gym, Tan, Laundry"
    GTL
    2015 Hobie Revolution 11

I usually lightweight convertible pants, just for sun protection. I usually will wear a long sleeve shirt too and roll the sleeves up if its unbearable. Also, I tend to wear a real cheap sunhat, which my work gave out many years ago. Everything's khaki colored, I've been called captain khaki, can't remember if I was the first to come up with the name though. I also bought one of the Snaggedline shirts which might be even more breathable the the ones I currently use, and I won one of the DPS ones too.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Comment

Hat, buff, long sleeve shirt, long pants all UPF50. Looking for gloves.

SPF50 on the exposed areas ( hands, ankles).

Comment

Buff makes excellent fishing / sun gloves.

Also, check out shirts by Gillz

Originally posted by hookmeup View Post

Bruce

Hobie PA 14
        Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Thanks EMSer,
          Also wear sunglasses to protect eyes.

Comment

Definitely want to cover up, even gloves and buffs. Protection is the name of the game for me.
            John Rentch
            Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
            Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

after getting roasted last year with shorts on, i always wear underarmour compression leggings (full length) under my shorts.
              Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by J. Rentch View Post
                Definitely want to cover up, even gloves and buffs. Protection is the name of the game for me.
                Yes, practice safe fishing, always use protection.
                2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

I have had several rounds of skin cancer on my chest and back. Those were annoying but not noticeable. I have also had two rounds of skin cancer on my face, which required the Mohs procedure. That was not fun at all and does leave visible marks. I encourage anyone who spends a lot of time on the water to cover up as much of your body as possible. What is not covered with fabric can be covered with high SPF sunscreen.

Here is a photo taken a few days ago when I fishing in Florida in 80-degree temps. It shows the coverings over nearly all of my body (the facial shield was removed for the first photo). Starting from the top: hat with large brim and neck flap, facial shield (I prefer ones that have a mesh patch over the nose and mouth to minimize fogging of sunglasses), high quality sunglasses to block UV rays, long sleeve fishing shirt (over a cotton T-shirt) and long fishing pants in quick-dry fabric, sun gloves (often sold as fly fishing gloves), and full shoes (in my case they are old running shoes). The only exposed areas are my ankles, ends of my fingers, and some small areas around the facial shield and sunglasses. I hit them with 50 SPF sunscreen.

Admittedly this can be hot in the summer, but I am used to it.

20170325_180710.jpg 20170325_170558.jpg

I use a different type of facial protection when I am in my center console. I wear a lightweight balaclava and a ball cap with a neck tether strap (keeps the hat from going overboard when moving at high speed). See http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...ight=balaclava for a description and photos.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis
                  Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I sweat like crazy, so John's getup would not work for me. I go with a floppy hat, sunglasses, an underarmor coolmax type longsleeve shirt, light shorts and water shoes and tons of sunscreen. I have a sit inside kayak, so most of my legs are covered.
                    Green Old Town Loon 111
                    Vibe Sea Ghost 110 - TeamGreen

Comment

Originally posted by hookmeup View Post

I've used these for a while now during the warmer months. They work great and a quick dunk in the water lets evaporative cooling work its magic for a while.
                      "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
                      Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Cover it all up. I wear the Columbia "Blood and Guts" Convertable Pants, cool and a little water resistant to an errant splash or two. Fast drying if you ever turtle Also Columbia long sleeve shirts. Buff on neck and Buff brand fishing gloves, which are cool too.
                        My hats vary by season, but get thinner as the season heats up.

I just have spotted feet from my sandals where the holes are, which is pretty funny looking. SPF on ALL exposed areas. Ears, nose etc.

Yak67
                        2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
                        2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Comment

Originally posted by Yak67 View Post
                          Cover it all up. I wear the Columbia "Blood and Guts" Convertable Pants, cool and a little water resistant to an errant splash or two. Fast drying if you ever turtle Also Columbia long sleeve shirts. Buff on neck and Buff brand fishing gloves, which are cool too.
                          My hats vary by season, but get thinner as the season heats up.

I just have spotted feet from my sandals where the holes are, which is pretty funny looking. SPF on ALL exposed areas. Ears, nose etc.

Yak67
                          2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
                          2016 Hobie Outback LE#217
                          Yea know that sight, but it means you are on the a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          John Rentch
                          Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                          Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Working...
                          X