No announcement yet.

Striped bass will take over the world.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been really happy so far with 25lb Seaguar AbrazX flouro leader. I've used it for everything from shad and striper fishing to bottom fishing for croaker, and it has held up well.
    Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Caught my largest of the season so far on 6lb. nanofil today fishing for shad.

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
        I use 20# Red Label floro for leaders- the reason I use floro is transparency and the toughness to abrasion- a double uni knot and I am good to go- I rarely, if ever, pull a fish in by the leader- great way to lose the fish by pulling the hooks and a terrible way to land a big fish...a boga grip is always within my reach..
        I'll defer to your experience. My personal best is a 34 incher.
        Native Titan Propel 12
        Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI

Solo Skiff
        Mercury 6hp
        Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
          I use 20# Red Label floro for leaders- the reason I use floro is transparency and the toughness to abrasion- a double uni knot and I am good to go- I rarely, if ever, pull a fish in by the leader- great way to lose the fish by pulling the hooks and a terrible way to land a big fish...a boga grip is always within my reach..
          Ron has caught countless fish and has his successful techniques for landing them. Last week when kayak fishing in Tampa Bay, I hooked many strong ladyfish. On the first one I slid my hand down the 20-lb leader and tried to lift the fish into the kayak. It lunged and broke off. The guide told me never to lift a large fish by the leader. He does not carry a net but consistently lands large fish by getting hold of the leader then working his other hand under the fish's belly. He quickly lifts/pushes the fish into the boat. I tried that method and did not lose any other fish during the rest of the trip. It takes a bit of practice (I would be nervous if I fished lures with multiple treble hooks) but does work.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

So for the sake of discussion, what is a big fish? I use a 40# leader on 20# braid and have had no issues with fish up to 34". To be clear, I haven't caught fish bigger than that.
            Native Titan Propel 12

Solo Skiff
            Mercury 6hp
            Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Comment

Depends on your tackle...a 28 inch fish on 4-6# ultra light tackle is probably a 2-1 weight to line ratio...Maryland recognizes a 40 inch fish for citations...I feel any fish that brings a smile to your face when you land it is a "Big" fish...why we need these artificial, false standards to measure our "success" as fishermen is a mystery to me...although at one point in my life I was a devout salt-water tournament fisherman chasing the trophy and cash...so from that viewpoint I do understand the competitive urges...
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
              X