Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Striped bass will take over the world.

Same report from the Slower Lower...fished yesterday afternoon until 6 pm...same results- lots of 25 inch fish...no 30 inchers....
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Outback
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13

For leaders I use 20 lb.

Quote Originally Posted by mike o View Post
    For leaders I use 20 lb.
    I use 20lb fluoro usually as well, unless I'm targeting finicky fish, but that's not usually what I do in the bay. I bet 20lb is good, so long as you keep checking it, for fish up to 40", so long as you have an effective way of getting them into the boat. Bluefish however, might be another story.

Quote Originally Posted by yakscientist View Post
    so long as you have an effective way of getting them into the boat.
    This is why I use 40#. There are plenty of times where I need to grab the leader itself to get the fish closer to me when landing. I'm solely fishing from a kayak, so I don't have space to bring a net with me. Also, stripers don't seem to care too much about thick leaders so why not?
    Trident Ultra 4.3
    Pompano 120
    Garmin Striker 4dv

I use 20# Red Label floro for leaders- the reason I use floro is transparency and the toughness to abrasion- a double uni knot and I am good to go- I rarely, if ever, pull a fish in by the leader- great way to lose the fish by pulling the hooks and a terrible way to land a big fish...a boga grip is always within my reach..
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Outback
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13

I've been really happy so far with 25lb Seaguar AbrazX flouro leader. I've used it for everything from shad and striper fishing to bottom fishing for croaker, and it has held up well.
    Joe

2016 Vibe Sea Ghost 130

Caught my largest of the season so far on 6lb. nanofil today fishing for shad.

Quote Originally Posted by ronaultmtd View Post
    I use 20# Red Label floro for leaders- the reason I use floro is transparency and the toughness to abrasion- a double uni knot and I am good to go- I rarely, if ever, pull a fish in by the leader- great way to lose the fish by pulling the hooks and a terrible way to land a big fish...a boga grip is always within my reach..
    I'll defer to your experience. My personal best is a 34 incher.
    Trident Ultra 4.3
    Pompano 120
    Garmin Striker 4dv

Quote Originally Posted by ronaultmtd View Post
    Ron has caught countless fish and has his successful techniques for landing them. Last week when kayak fishing in Tampa Bay, I hooked many strong ladyfish. On the first one I slid my hand down the 20-lb leader and tried to lift the fish into the kayak. It lunged and broke off. The guide told me never to lift a large fish by the leader. He does not carry a net but consistently lands large fish by getting hold of the leader then working his other hand under the fish's belly. He quickly lifts/pushes the fish into the boat. I tried that method and did not lose any other fish during the rest of the trip. It takes a bit of practice (I would be nervous if I fished lures with multiple treble hooks) but does work.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11 and Slayer Propel 10
    Member - Pro Staff team for Native Watercraft

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" - light tackle fishing techniques for kayaks and small boats

So for the sake of discussion, what is a big fish? I use a 40# leader on 20# braid and have had no issues with fish up to 34". To be clear, I haven't caught fish bigger than that.
    Trident Ultra 4.3
    Pompano 120
    Garmin Striker 4dv