No announcement yet.

Striped bass will take over the world.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Striped bass will take over the world.

I've been out the last two days on the western shore of the mid bay trolling a rapala xr 10 glass ghost, and my hand made skirted jig and I'm here to tell you: The Bay is FULL of stripers! I caught 16 fish yesterday in about an hour ranging 17-28", and 6 in 25 minutes tonight (I took an unintended swim in 49 degree water that shortened my evening). Right when I started tonight I hit a 25 incher that damn near ripped the Scotty out of the yak. All of the fish these last two days are striking like a Mack truck. Then my jig got caught in the transducer arm which is mounted in the front of the yak. Lesson learned: Never try to balance on the skinny and narrow front of the boat. In the cold water I went. The bite was so good that I crawled back into the yak, and caught a few babies, a 20" and a nice 28" (pictured below).

It got to the point tonight where I knew my hot zone that I was trolling through. My buddy is just getting started kayak fishing and I would turn to him and say, "I'm going to hook up in 5...4...3...2...1" and boom! Fish on.

This is going to be one heck of a season.

IMG_1033.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by CHOC; 03-28-2017, 09:48 PM.
    Native Titan Propel 12
    Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI

Solo Skiff
    Mercury 6hp
    Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Yeah I was surprised by how many John and I caught last weekend. It bodes well for a good season. I hope I beat my pb of 23"… shouldn't be too hard to do.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Comment

After such a tough bite in recent months, this is welcome news!

I am sure you will be able to get a new PB. I found a few up to 32" today.

DSCN4467.jpg

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
      Yeah I was surprised by how many John and I caught last weekend. It bodes well for a good season. I hope I beat my pb of 23"… shouldn't be too hard to do.

Bruce

Hobie PA 14
      Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Go out tomorrow. Drop a kitchen spoon with a bent sewing needle attached and you'll beat your pb.
        Native Titan Propel 12

Solo Skiff
        Mercury 6hp

Comment

Guess I better get to crimping my hooks!
          Gregory
          ​Ain't Misbehavin'
          2014 Pro Angler 12
          '

Comment

Nice catches to all!!

Comment

Good to hear. Send them up north. I fished the flats today in a center console and only got one fish. It was a decent fish.flats rock.jpg

Comment

Sorry that pic is upside down. Don't know how that happened

Comment

What pound test are you using for a leader? I'm torn between 30 or 50 Lbs.
                  2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

I use 3 ft of 40 pound leader.
                    Native Titan Propel 12

Solo Skiff
                    Mercury 6hp

Comment

Same report from the Slower Lower...fished yesterday afternoon until 6 pm...same results- lots of 25 inch fish...no 30 inchers....
                      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

For leaders I use 20 lb.

Comment

Originally posted by mike o View Post
                          For leaders I use 20 lb.
                          I use 20lb fluoro usually as well, unless I'm targeting finicky fish, but that's not usually what I do in the bay. I bet 20lb is good, so long as you keep checking it, for fish up to 40", so long as you have an effective way of getting them into the boat. Bluefish however, might be another story.

Comment

so long as you have an effective way of getting them into the boat.
                            This is why I use 40#. There are plenty of times where I need to grab the leader itself to get the fish closer to me when landing. I'm solely fishing from a kayak, so I don't have space to bring a net with me. Also, stripers don't seem to care too much about thick leaders so why not?
                            Native Titan Propel 12

Solo Skiff
                            Mercury 6hp

Comment

I use 20# Red Label floro for leaders- the reason I use floro is transparency and the toughness to abrasion- a double uni knot and I am good to go- I rarely, if ever, pull a fish in by the leader- great way to lose the fish by pulling the hooks and a terrible way to land a big fish...a boga grip is always within my reach..
                              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                              X