Good bite in Tampa Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good bite in Tampa Bay

Today was day 3 of my latest visit to Tampa to fish with Neil Taylor of Strike Three Kayak Fishing. The weather has been outstanding each day with highs in the low 80s, lows in the 60s, and calm wind. My recent trips here this winter dealt with cold fronts and windy days -- the weather is much nicer this time. The fish are biting well too.

On the first two days we concentrated on speckled trout and caught many large trout to 21".

specs.jpg

Today we looked for other species and did well in catching 10 species -- all on light tackle and lures. We began jigging a small metal jig and fly teaser. I caught acrobatic and hard-pulling ladyfish on my first 3 casts and on 10 of the first 14 casts -- it was a great way to start the day! I added a spanish mackerel and a lane snapper. Neil caught two pompano, a pufferfish called striped burrfish, and a sea robin.
    004.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg pompano 2.jpg IMGP0006.jpg IMGP0004.jpg

After the jigging bite slowed down, we began casting to grass flats and sand patches to catch speckled trout, several gulf flounder (three large black spots), and my first Florida bluefish.

005.jpg bluefish.jpg

I spent some time casting to mangrove islands and caught two snook.

001.jpg

It was a very pleasant morning. I have one more day to fish tomorrow -- we are likely to try a different location and hope to catch a redfish.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Great outings John.

Please dial up that weather and action for our next trip south.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

That sounds like an awesome day!! Glad you are getting into them.
      Bruce

Hobie PA 14
      Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Nice going John, neat variety of fish down there. Are you fishing on the south side of Tampa Bay, near Anna Maria Island?

Comment

That's good living John. Great weather and great fishing. Bring us some sunshine back with you!

Yak67
          2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
          2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Comment

thanks for the report! looks fun...
            2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
              Nice going John, neat variety of fish down there. Are you fishing on the south side of Tampa Bay, near Anna Maria Island?
              We fished in different areas each of the four days. They ranged geographically from the south end of the Skyway bridge north to Dunedin.
              John Veil
              Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Glad the trip was a good one for you. Great weather, great fishing, and I am sure a few cold ones at the pub to finish off the day. Great combination!
                John Rentch
                Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                  Today was day 3 of my latest visit to Tampa to fish with Neil Taylor of Strike Three Kayak Fishing. The weather has been outstanding each day with highs in the low 80s, lows in the 60s, and calm wind. My recent trips here this winter dealt with cold fronts and windy days -- the weather is much nicer this time. The fish are biting well too.

On the first two days we concentrated on speckled trout and caught many large trout to 21".

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21106[/ATTACH]

Today we looked for other species and did well in catching 10 species -- all on light tackle and lures. We began jigging a small metal jig and fly teaser. I caught acrobatic and hard-pulling ladyfish on my first 3 casts and on 10 of the first 14 casts -- it was a great way to start the day! I added a spanish mackerel and a lane snapper. Neil caught two pompano, a pufferfish called striped burrfish, and a sea robin.
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]21109[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]21107[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]21108[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]21112[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]21114[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]21113[/ATTACH]

After the jigging bite slowed down, we began casting to grass flats and sand patches to catch speckled trout, several gulf flounder (three large black spots), and my first Florida bluefish.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21110[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]21111[/ATTACH]

I spent some time casting to mangrove islands and caught two snook.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21105[/ATTACH]

It was a very pleasant morning. I have one more day to fish tomorrow -- we are likely to try a different location and hope to catch a redfish.
                  Last time I was down there, John, we headed over to the boat docks and used live bait for the big snook- and the baby tarpon- the Jack Cravelle ate us up but they were spectacular fighters on light spinning gear...we hooked a Cuda that spooled the reel...
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Nice job John. I can't wait to get back down there with a kayak again. That area is an amazing fishery. I've always used live bait when I go down there. I'll have to give artificials a try next time.

Outback 2015
                    Maui

Comment

Originally posted by Goody View Post
                      Nice job John. I can't wait to get back down there with a kayak again. That area is an amazing fishery. I've always used live bait when I go down there. I'll have to give artificials a try next time.
                      Live bait usually brings in the fish. My guide Neil Taylor almost never uses live bait. He throws mostly soft plastic tails made by 12 Fathom Lures (Fat Sam mullet, Slam-R, Buzztail). For his jigging, he ties a small metal Silly Willy jig and a hand-tied teaser fly together in the same loop knot. It is much lighter than the LTJ we do here in the Chesapeake, but the depths there are usually less too. With his experience, we do pretty well on inshore species.

I was there last week and have another trip booked for the end of April. Yesterday afternoon I was asked to come to a meeting in Lido Key next week. Since they are paying for the plane ticket, I added three more unexpected days with Neil on April 8-10. There are some advantages to being mostly retired and doing occasional consulting.

thumbs-up_.jpg
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                        ...My guide Neil Taylor almost never uses live bait. He throws mostly soft plastic tails made by 12 Fathom Lures (Fat Sam mullet, Slam-R, Buzztail)...
                        Those same soft plastics work exceedingly well here. I have caught white perch, stripers, pickerels LM and SM bass with them often using the same techniques employed in FL for specks, ladyfish, and a host of other species. There are many ways to catch fish but it surprises me how identical techniques are transferrable to other areas and other species. There is little mystery in fishing -- once you find out where they are.
                        Mark
                        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Nice job john, I really miss Florida already. I caught a nice variety of fish mostly on Tony Accetta spoons last month

Comment

What is the best way that you guys transport your yaks down to Tampa? Car, Train, .....or rent when you are down there?
                            MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
                            2016 Hobie Outback LE
                            Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
                            https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

When I was there I hired a kayak guide who furnished me all the tackle, kayak, PFD, etc.
                              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                              X