Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good bite in Tampa Bay

Default Good bite in Tampa Bay

Today was day 3 of my latest visit to Tampa to fish with Neil Taylor of Strike Three Kayak Fishing. The weather has been outstanding each day with highs in the low 80s, lows in the 60s, and calm wind. My recent trips here this winter dealt with cold fronts and windy days -- the weather is much nicer this time. The fish are biting well too.

On the first two days we concentrated on speckled trout and caught many large trout to 21".

specs.jpg

Today we looked for other species and did well in catching 10 species -- all on light tackle and lures. We began jigging a small metal jig and fly teaser. I caught acrobatic and hard-pulling ladyfish on my first 3 casts and on 10 of the first 14 casts -- it was a great way to start the day! I added a spanish mackerel and a lane snapper. Neil caught two pompano, a pufferfish called striped burrfish, and a sea robin.
    004.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg pompano 2.jpg IMGP0006.jpg IMGP0004.jpg

After the jigging bite slowed down, we began casting to grass flats and sand patches to catch speckled trout, several gulf flounder (three large black spots), and my first Florida bluefish.

005.jpg bluefish.jpg

I spent some time casting to mangrove islands and caught two snook.

001.jpg

It was a very pleasant morning. I have one more day to fish tomorrow -- we are likely to try a different location and hope to catch a redfish.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11 and Slayer Propel 10
    Member - Pro Staff team for Native Watercraft

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" - light tackle fishing techniques for kayaks and small boats

Great outings John.

Please dial up that weather and action for our next trip south.
    Mark

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

That sounds like an awesome day!! Glad you are getting into them.
    Bruce

Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Nice going John, neat variety of fish down there. Are you fishing on the south side of Tampa Bay, near Anna Maria Island?

That's good living John. Great weather and great fishing. Bring us some sunshine back with you!

Yak67
    2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
    2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

thanks for the report! looks fun...

Quote Originally Posted by DanMarino View Post
    Nice going John, neat variety of fish down there. Are you fishing on the south side of Tampa Bay, near Anna Maria Island?
    We fished in different areas each of the four days. They ranged geographically from the south end of the Skyway bridge north to Dunedin.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11 and Slayer Propel 10
    Member - Pro Staff team for Native Watercraft

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" - light tackle fishing techniques for kayaks and small boats

Glad the trip was a good one for you. Great weather, great fishing, and I am sure a few cold ones at the pub to finish off the day. Great combination!
    John
    Annapolis
    Native Slayer Propel 10, Native Ultimate 12

Quote Originally Posted by J.A. Veil View Post
    Today was day 3 of my latest visit to Tampa to fish with Neil Taylor of Strike Three Kayak Fishing. The weather has been outstanding each day with highs in the low 80s, lows in the 60s, and calm wind. My recent trips here this winter dealt with cold fronts and windy days -- the weather is much nicer this time. The fish are biting well too.

On the first two days we concentrated on speckled trout and caught many large trout to 21".

specs.jpg

Today we looked for other species and did well in catching 10 species -- all on light tackle and lures. We began jigging a small metal jig and fly teaser. I caught acrobatic and hard-pulling ladyfish on my first 3 casts and on 10 of the first 14 casts -- it was a great way to start the day! I added a spanish mackerel and a lane snapper. Neil caught two pompano, a pufferfish called striped burrfish, and a sea robin.
    004.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg pompano 2.jpg IMGP0006.jpg IMGP0004.jpg

After the jigging bite slowed down, we began casting to grass flats and sand patches to catch speckled trout, several gulf flounder (three large black spots), and my first Florida bluefish.

005.jpg bluefish.jpg

I spent some time casting to mangrove islands and caught two snook.

001.jpg

It was a very pleasant morning. I have one more day to fish tomorrow -- we are likely to try a different location and hope to catch a redfish.
    Last time I was down there, John, we headed over to the boat docks and used live bait for the big snook- and the baby tarpon- the Jack Cravelle ate us up but they were spectacular fighters on light spinning gear...we hooked a Cuda that spooled the reel...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Outback
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13

Nice job John. I can't wait to get back down there with a kayak again. That area is an amazing fishery. I've always used live bait when I go down there. I'll have to give artificials a try next time.

Outback 2015
    Outback 2012
    Maui