Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good bite in Tampa Bay

Quote Originally Posted by Goody View Post
    Nice job John. I can't wait to get back down there with a kayak again. That area is an amazing fishery. I've always used live bait when I go down there. I'll have to give artificials a try next time.
    Live bait usually brings in the fish. My guide Neil Taylor almost never uses live bait. He throws mostly soft plastic tails made by 12 Fathom Lures (Fat Sam mullet, Slam-R, Buzztail). For his jigging, he ties a small metal Silly Willy jig and a hand-tied teaser fly together in the same loop knot. It is much lighter than the LTJ we do here in the Chesapeake, but the depths there are usually less too. With his experience, we do pretty well on inshore species.

I was there last week and have another trip booked for the end of April. Yesterday afternoon I was asked to come to a meeting in Lido Key next week. Since they are paying for the plane ticket, I added three more unexpected days with Neil on April 8-10. There are some advantages to being mostly retired and doing occasional consulting.

thumbs-up_.jpg
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11 and Slayer Propel 10
    Member - Pro Staff team for Native Watercraft

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" - light tackle fishing techniques for kayaks and small boats

Quote Originally Posted by J.A. Veil View Post
    ...My guide Neil Taylor almost never uses live bait. He throws mostly soft plastic tails made by 12 Fathom Lures (Fat Sam mullet, Slam-R, Buzztail)...
    Those same soft plastics work exceedingly well here. I have caught white perch, stripers, pickerels LM and SM bass with them often using the same techniques employed in FL for specks, ladyfish, and a host of other species. There are many ways to catch fish but it surprises me how identical techniques are transferrable to other areas and other species. There is little mystery in fishing -- once you find out where they are.
    Mark

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

Nice job john, I really miss Florida already. I caught a nice variety of fish mostly on Tony Accetta spoons last month

What is the best way that you guys transport your yaks down to Tampa? Car, Train, .....or rent when you are down there?
    MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
    2016 Hobie Outback LE
    Kayak Crabbing since 2011

When I was there I hired a kayak guide who furnished me all the tackle, kayak, PFD, etc.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Outback
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13

Martin,

Similar to Ron's experience, our guide, Neil Taylor supplies all the equipment from kayaks, to rods to lures.

http://www.strikethreekayakfishing.c...s/default.aspx

Nothing to transport except yourself and Southwest makes that easy with numerous low cost flights from BWI to Tampa.

However, I do take my PFD and apparel for sun.
    Mark

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Martin,

Similar to Ron's experience, our guide, Neil Taylor supplies all the equipment from kayaks, to rods to lures.

http://www.strikethreekayakfishing.c...s/default.aspx

Nothing to transport except yourself and Southwest makes that easy with numerous low cost flights from BWI to Tampa.

However, I do take my PFD and apparel for sun.
    I have fished with several kayak guides. Some of them, like Neil Taylor, provide high quality equipment (Native Ultimate kayaks, Werner paddles, St Croix Avid rods, Daiwa Ballistic or Saltist reels, plus proven tackle). I used to bring my St Croix travel rod with me, but soon realized that Neil's gear was as good as mine. I second Mark's idea of bringing your own PFD for comfort, proper fit, and pockets. I also bring my own pliers and Fishgrips. You would need to get a Florida fishing license (for nonresidents you can get 3 day, 7 day, or annual.)

Several years ago, one guide in a different part of Florida put me in a cheap no-frills kayak and ordinary quality tackle while he rode around in a better kayak with an electric motor. Another guide put me in a good kayak, but gave me a crappy rod and reel. It pays to ask about the types of equipment in advance.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11 and Slayer Propel 10
    Member - Pro Staff team for Native Watercraft

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" - light tackle fishing techniques for kayaks and small boats

I took my 2 kayaks down in the bed of my truck.