Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kayak Rescue Between Snagged-Liners (Mar 25, 2017)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak Rescue Between Snagged-Liners (Mar 25, 2017)

Snagged-Liners,
    I posted the following on the VA forum titled "Saving Private Jayman" Tautog (CBBT) Puppy (Rudee), Mar 25, 2017.
    or
    http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...e)-Mar-25-2017

I posted as a fishing report for VA yakers initially. Then I realized that it is more about the real kayak-rescue happened between two Snagged-Liners than a fishing report. Please visit the VA post. It can happen to any of us. I learned more after the incident. 1) We could catch a lot of tautogs if we inspected kayaks before the launch, and 2) We could enjoy catching a lot of tautogs if we inspected kayaks thoroughly before the launch.

I need your tips on Kayak rescue and preventing the kayak-rescue on one thread on the VA forum mentioned above.

Thanks
    Joe
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 03-27-2017, 04:40 PM.
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

I'm on the swift water rescue team at my
    local fire department, and have also been rescued myself by the coast guard while kayaking. So I feel I can drop some good advice here for anyone willing to listen.

I'll always offer the usual: carry a radio, wear protective clothing, become knowledgable in appropriate kayaking weather/conditions, be confident in overturning and re-entering your boat.

However the critical piece of advice that I'll offer is to be aware of your kayaks capabilities.

Sit on top kayaks (especially fishing kayaks) still take on water. Rivet holes, mounted accessories, etc all let in little bits of water. In choppy conditions, with a weighted down kayak, you can take on a dangerous amount of water very quickly. Do the best you can to seal all holes in your kayak.

I was in the VA barrier islands and was kayaking in sub par conditions with a weighted down boat. Small waves began crashing over my bow, each time letting a little bit of water through the rivets on my bow. I was in some serious open water when I realized my boat was going down. First the rear started to go and I began paddling as hard as I could to the nearest (uninhabited of course) island.

30-40 yards out from the island my kayak was completely submerged with nothing but my milk crate outta the water. Water was literally creeping up over my hips. Surprisingly I could still paddle it and move forward! If I had been a little further out I think my kayak would have become dead in the water, and I would have had to swim the rest of the way. The last 15 or so yards my kayak was completely sunk, and I actually drug it along the bottom to the island.

When I got on the island I immediately called my dad to inform him of the situation and my where abouts. I then called the coast guard, and they were able to pin my location based off my VHF radio. Marine police came out, and loaded me and my kayak up and took my back to the mainland.

This was before I became involved in fire/water rescue. I was ignorant, and unfamiliar with my boat. I went out in conditions I shouldn't have, and paid the price.

I still get a little eery sometimes when it gets choppy out in open water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Zack
    Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
    Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
    "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

With only a couple of millimeters of plastic between having a great day floating around on a kayak or having a bad day bobbing around in a life jacket, when heading offshore I’ll usually inflate a large airbag in the bow hatch after sliding large pool noodles up the sides inside the hull. Lightweight flotation taking up volume that would otherwise be filled with water couldn’t hurt. May buy some time.
      Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
      Predator 13

Comment

Working...
      X