Who's using what net?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's using what net?

So I was looking at getting the ForEverlast G2 net, the orange floating one, from BPS, but was curious as to which other nets everyone else is using? I don't need anything fancy, just something on the larger side to take with me to Jbay, my normal one for 20-23" rockfish is a little too rickety/small to use for the tournament. Folding is a plus as well, just let me know what you're using, if you don't mind. If there's a better option than the one I mentioned earlier, I will consider it. Thanks!

highly recommend the rubber coated nylon mesh, far easier to remove a lure with treble hooks.
    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

I was going to try this Frabill folding net. Ive already switched out the mesh netting with their rubber replacement net. Was just going to attach it to a light tether. I like that it doesn't take up a lot of room when folded.
      "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
      Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

This is a good topic. I'm trying to buy a net and the price ranges are very scattered.

YakAttack has a nice landing net but the price is high (80 dollars). Anyone have one and thinks it is worth the price?
        2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

If it's the pole which is bent for your elbow, RavensDfense (Doug) has it, and gives it very high regards.

Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Yup, that is the one. It is very pricey...
            2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

I attended a presentation this winter by a MD DNR representative concerning catch and release.

He recommended rubber nets with small mesh to enhance the survivability of released fish.

A summary of his presentation follows: http://dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/Do...ch_release.pdf
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
                So I was looking at getting the ForEverlast G2 net, the orange floating one, from BPS, but was curious as to which other nets everyone else is using? I don't need anything fancy, just something on the larger side to take with me to Jbay, my normal one for 20-23" rockfish is a little too rickety/small to use for the tournament. Folding is a plus as well, just let me know what you're using, if you don't mind. If there's a better option than the one I mentioned earlier, I will consider it. Thanks!
                Hey Patrick,
                I use the ForEverlast G2 net and like it. It may be a bit tricky if the fish is over 35-40" because you do not have much leverage with this net, but I don't typically use a net on anything besides flounder and specks. Stripers and reds have tough enough mouths that you can leg scoop them in the kayak or flip them in if they are small enough. The opening to this net is really big and the net itself is deep which is nice. It also fits nicely into my vertical pvc rod holder, keeping it out of the way.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
                  Hey Patrick,
                  I use the ForEverlast G2 net and like it. It may be a bit tricky if the fish is over 35-40" because you do not have much leverage with this net, but I don't typically use a net on anything besides flounder and specks. Stripers and reds have tough enough mouths that you can leg scoop them in the kayak or flip them in if they are small enough. The opening to this net is really big and the net itself is deep which is nice. It also fits nicely into my vertical pvc rod holder, keeping it out of the way.
                  Ha well over 35-40" shouldn't be a problem, it is me fishing after all. Though with jbay, you never know. The net will probably be used mainly for the blues, or as a last resort for the big stripers, and def used for flounder or weakfish. I figured it'd just give me the best chance at getting the fish safely into the boat for measuring/photgraphing, and then a quick release. Have you ever done the jbay tournament doug?

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
                    Ha well over 35-40" shouldn't be a problem, it is me fishing after all. Though with jbay, you never know. The net will probably be used mainly for the blues, or as a last resort for the big stripers, and def used for flounder or weakfish. I figured it'd just give me the best chance at getting the fish safely into the boat for measuring/photgraphing, and then a quick release. Have you ever done the jbay tournament doug?
                    Don't sell yourself short now! Lol. And I haven't been to JBay. I would really really like to, but its a busy time of year for me. Its falls around not only my wedding anniversary but also my daughter's bday. To make matters worse, it is smack in the middle of the ESVA bull red drum run. One day Ill get up there though.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
                      If it's the pole which is bent for your elbow, RavensDfense (Doug) has it, and gives it very high regards.

This one is also really nice. We have them at the shop and although I do not own one, I have toyed around with it. It is super stable and provides a lot of leverage for landing larger fish.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Yak Attack, I have the 20" it is awesome for flounder. Have not needed it for some big ole stripers since I never caught them, but for flounder its awesome, the folding for storage really helps. I made a holder out of 3" PVC that holds it open or closed. Had it for 2 years.
                        Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                        Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
                          you can leg scoop them in the kayak
                          This. No net needed if you perfect the leg scoop. Doesn't matter what the species is. Of course, having a low profile kayak and clutter free gunnels in front of you helps with this technique. I imagine the bigger and more rigged kayaks might need a net.

A buddy of mine uses a rubber mesh net in his jon boat and it's pretty nice. It's nothing fancy, just a Dicks or Walmart special, but the rubber mesh is better on the fish and also good for not completely tangling up your lure.
                          Brian

Comment

Working...
                          X