Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Saving Private Jayman" Tautog (CBBT) Puppy (Rudee), Mar 25, 2017

Default "Saving Private Jayman" Tautog (CBBT) Puppy (Rudee), Mar 25, 2017

What a day we had!

Jman and I went to CBBT (Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, VA). When tautog started biting, we found a serious leak on his kayak. We hurried back to the shore. For about 1.6 miles to the shore, it took more than 3 hours (according to my video timestamp, 30 more minutes to get to the launch site).

We were calm and we both had Marine Radios. Though, each time kayak leaned when hit by waves, I thought about “Mayday” call until we got close to the shore. I knew a woman could sit on the bow of the Outback. But I doubted if a regular built man could sit on the bow of the Outback. A man is too heavy for the stern because of the rudder line holes on the stern would be submerged especially the wind was blowing at 10-12 knots. I prayed that my Outback support Jman's weight. If not, we I had to make "Mayday" call. For the "Mayday" call, you must have a marine radio - This is how I understood.

We went to Rudee, VA. We found the primary cause of the leak. And We fished and tested the kayak on the calm water (Rudee) after the temporary fix.

Anyway, Jman caught his first tautog and first puppy drum.

I was glad that I brought the Outback instead of the Revolution. This incident confirms that why I prefer Outback over Revolution for fishing overall. (I have both Outback and Revolution)

Fishing Log:

Thanks
    Joe
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 03-26-2017 at 09:20 PM.
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.

What was the leak?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by brianisoutside View Post
    What was the leak?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    One was the new 2016 Hobie designed transducer hole leading to the hull. That was plugged fully with Duct-Seal. I believe there is another one, because when we sealed the transducer wire hole I still had several gallons of water in calm lake-like conditions. I'm hoping to find out where the leak is this evening.

Update: Checked the kayak visually and tested it with water. Couldn't replicate the leaking. Could potentially be the cam locks, but I have to wait to test that. In the meantime I am going to be carrying a bilge pump.
    Last edited by Jman; 03-27-2017 at 10:05 AM.
    Jake

Thanks again Joe for showing me the ropes out there! Very thankful to have gone out with an experienced kayaker for new fishing grounds. Once I figure out my leak problem, I think I'm going to be addicted to that area. Here's the picture of my first little red.FullSizeRender.jpg
    Last edited by Jman; 03-26-2017 at 10:03 PM.
    Jake

wow... surprised to see someone seating in front of an Outback, testifies to the stability of the Outback and importance of going out with someone. Safety in numbers. Thanks for the report!

Quote Originally Posted by Seasalt View Post
    wow... surprised to see someone seating in front of an Outback, testifies to the stability of the Outback and importance of going out with someone. Safety in numbers. Thanks for the report!
    It was possible because I am a small person, I think. Still we had to be very careful to prevent the nosedives and to keep the balance.

I am still very thankful that we made back without making Mayday call.

Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.

This is the reason that it is important to have a fishing buddy...not as much for "lifesaving" but as much as support and companionship...and sharing experiences...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Outback
    "Ugly Duckling" 2010 Olive Hobie Outback
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13

Quote Originally Posted by ronaultmtd View Post
    This is the reason that it is important to have a fishing buddy...not as much for "lifesaving" but as much as support and companionship...and sharing experiences...
    Exactly. Having the proper safety gear, and someone present to fish with you, is what keeps stories like this from becoming much worse. This was an unfortunate malfunction/good story, but it could've gone much much worse obviously.

Wow, nice job on the rescue! Affirms always being over prepared and going with a mate.

i'll be adding duct seal and a few other items to my emergency kit now!
    Last edited by mchottie; 03-27-2017 at 05:27 PM.
    First Lady: Hobie Ivory Sand Dune Hobie ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Backup Babe (Girlfriends Ride): Carribean Blue Hobie Outback Lowrance Elite 5 HDI w/ Pumpkin Spice Latte holder

Learning the Ropes & Living the Dream

Glad it worked out. Don't know if you do, but I stuff my yak with as many pool float tubes as I can fit. Cost about $10 total for a good piece of mind.
    13' Sand Revo
    16' Yellow Tarpon
    10' Red Ocean Tandem
    Old Red Cherokee