Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Saving Private Jayman" Tautog (CBBT) Puppy (Rudee), Mar 25, 2017

What a day we had!

Jman and I went to CBBT (Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, VA). When tautog started biting, we found a serious leak on his kayak. We hurried back to the shore. For about 1.6 miles to the shore, it took more than 3 hours (according to my video timestamp, 30 more minutes to get to the launch site).

We were calm and we both had Marine Radios. Though, each time kayak leaned when hit by waves, I thought about “Mayday” call until we got close to the shore. I knew a woman could sit on the bow of the Outback. But I doubted if a regular built man could sit on the bow of the Outback. A man is too heavy for the stern because of the rudder line holes on the stern would be submerged especially the wind was blowing at 10-12 knots. I prayed that my Outback support Jman's weight. If not, we I had to make "Mayday" call. For the "Mayday" call, you must have a marine radio - This is how I understood.

We went to Rudee, VA. We found the primary cause of the leak. And We fished and tested the kayak on the calm water (Rudee) after the temporary fix.

Anyway, Jman caught his first tautog and first puppy drum.

I was glad that I brought the Outback instead of the Revolution. This incident confirms that why I prefer Outback over Revolution for fishing overall. (I have both Outback and Revolution)

Fishing Log:

Thanks
    Joe
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 03-26-2017, 09:20 PM.
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

What was the leak?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by brianisoutside View Post
      What was the leak?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      One was the new 2016 Hobie designed transducer hole leading to the hull. That was plugged fully with Duct-Seal. I believe there is another one, because when we sealed the transducer wire hole I still had several gallons of water in calm lake-like conditions. I'm hoping to find out where the leak is this evening.

Update: Checked the kayak visually and tested it with water. Couldn't replicate the leaking. Could potentially be the cam locks, but I have to wait to test that. In the meantime I am going to be carrying a bilge pump.
      Last edited by Jman; 03-27-2017, 10:05 AM.
      J

Comment

Thanks again Joe for showing me the ropes out there! Very thankful to have gone out with an experienced kayaker for new fishing grounds. Once I figure out my leak problem, I think I'm going to be addicted to that area. Here's the picture of my first little red.FullSizeRender.jpg
        Last edited by Jman; 03-26-2017, 10:03 PM.
        J

Comment

wow... surprised to see someone seating in front of an Outback, testifies to the stability of the Outback and importance of going out with someone. Safety in numbers. Thanks for the report!
          2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Originally posted by Seasalt View Post
            wow... surprised to see someone seating in front of an Outback, testifies to the stability of the Outback and importance of going out with someone. Safety in numbers. Thanks for the report!
            It was possible because I am a small person, I think. Still we had to be very careful to prevent the nosedives and to keep the balance.

I am still very thankful that we made back without making Mayday call.

Joe
            Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

This is the reason that it is important to have a fishing buddy...not as much for "lifesaving" but as much as support and companionship...and sharing experiences...
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                This is the reason that it is important to have a fishing buddy...not as much for "lifesaving" but as much as support and companionship...and sharing experiences...
                Exactly. Having the proper safety gear, and someone present to fish with you, is what keeps stories like this from becoming much worse. This was an unfortunate malfunction/good story, but it could've gone much much worse obviously.

Comment

Wow, nice job on the rescue! Affirms always being over prepared and going with a mate.

i'll be adding duct seal and a few other items to my emergency kit now!
                  Last edited by mchottie; 03-27-2017, 05:27 PM.
                  Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Glad it worked out. Don't know if you do, but I stuff my yak with as many pool float tubes as I can fit. Cost about $10 total for a good piece of mind.
                    Jay

10' Green Slayer
                    13’ Red Slayer

Comment

My 2016 Outback has a bunch of factory fitted foam blocks inside the hull especially around the seat, and sides...
                      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

From the video, looks like the following items can be handy.

1. Rope
                        2. Something to remove water - container, pump, etc.
                        2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Holy schmokes! Seeing a guy sit on the bow of the Outback was insane! Glad it worked out guys. What an adventure.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                          Kokatat Pro Staff
                          Torqeedo Pro Staff
                          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                          Alan

Comment

What I learned:
                            Inspect the kayaks (mine and buddy's) thoroughly for cracks and cables.
                            Bring a charged Marin VHF Radio, a rope/twine, Hobie Mirage Drive repair kit and tools
                            keep all kinds of temporary kayak repair materials (Duct seal, Duct tape, electrical tape, wire, wire cutter, pliers, rudder cable) in the vehicle so that I can fish again
                            I always check for the water in the hull very often. and I have buckets under the center hatch.

I always carry rod top repair kit with gas lighter in the tackle bag - not a safety item but is important.

Joe

Comment

Nice going on the rescue. Awesome that it all worked out fine.
                              I joke around with a buddy of mine at work about "un-manly" things that guys do. For example: It is unmanly for two dudes to ride a motorcycle or jetski with one dude sitting on the back and the other dude on the front operating the motorcycle.
                              I got a chuckle wondering if it is "un-manly" for 2 dudes to ride on a Hobie.

Comment

Working...
                              X