Test ride on Native Slayer Propel 12 LT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Test ride on Native Slayer Propel 12 LT

I am staying in the Tampa/St Pete area for the next few days and had some spare time this morning. I dropped by the Bill Jackson's outdoor store (a large Native Watercraft dealer). They had the new thermoformed pedal-drive Slayer 12 LT on display. I spoke with another Native Pro Staff member who works at that shop. He answered my questions and offered to let me take a test ride in the pond behind their shop.

I am currently using a Slayer Propel 10 (SP10). Both boats weigh the same (62 lbs without seat and pedal drive). The LT is two feet longer and narrower. It is sleeker and faster than my SP10 but is not as stable -- not surprising, but it would take some getting used to.

I enjoyed my short test ride that included both pedal power (easy and fast) and paddle power (very smooth -- much easier to move than the SP10). I was quite impressed with the appearance and ride of the new LT. The standard Native rudder gave sharper turning than I currently get on my SP10.

My main constraint with a 12' or longer kayak is transportation. My bad back and spine do not allow frequent lifting to a rooftop rack. I can place either of my existing kayaks (my SP10 and my Manta Ray 11) inside my Toyota minivan and close the hatch - quick and easy loading and unloading. When I am back at home I plan to find a Native dealer that has an LT in stock and see if I can fit it inside my minivan. Conceivably I could replace my two existing boats with just the LT.

The Slayer 12 LT is the first thermoformed kayak on the market with pedal drive. That combination plus excellent performance and good looks should make this a sought-after kayak.

20170325_105106_resized.jpg 20170325_105114_resized.jpg 20170325_105123_resized.jpg 20170325_105133_resized.jpg 20170325_105147_resized.jpg 20170325_105642_resized.jpg
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

John glad to hear an educated comparison of the two boats, I have been looking into the 12 LT as a contender for my next yak. What I love about the propel drive is easy immediate hands free reverse, I also really like how native tucks the rudder up underneath and below the keel. I also love the circular pedal crank system, I ride road bikes and and compete in time trials so this would be a great way to keep my legs in shape during the off season.
    I do have one question about the propel drive, what type of maintenance have you had to perform on yours and how often?

Comment

Originally posted by dirtyjake237 View Post
      John glad to hear an educated comparison of the two boats, I have been looking into the 12 LT as a contender for my next yak. What I love about the propel drive is easy immediate hands free reverse, I also really like how native tucks the rudder up underneath and below the keel. I also love the circular pedal crank system, I ride road bikes and and compete in time trials so this would be a great way to keep my legs in shape during the off season.
      I do have one question about the propel drive, what type of maintenance have you had to perform on yours and how often?
      Native recommends: 1) rinsing the Propel with fresh water after each use -- I spray mine with a garden hose, and 2) lubricating the gears at least every 6 months. The lubrication of the top drive is accessed by one bolt removable by an Allen wrench. The bottom drive is accessed by removing the prop (one bolt removable by an Allen wrench) then loosening the drive cartridge (requires a spanner wrench). The entire process takes less than 15 minutes. If you use the Propel often in salt water, you may elect to lubricate more frequently.

I don't use my Propel kayak on every trip -- I use it 25-35% of my trips on those occasions when I plan to troll. On my other trips when I plan to cast to shorelines in protected areas, I find my paddle kayak is easier to load and unload and works fine for sheltered environments. If I did use it more often, I would do the lubrication more often than at 6-month intervals.

If you have any squeaks, you can lubricate the pedal and crank arms as needed with lube or a spray lubricant. I store mine outdoors on a porch. It is exposed to our freezing winter temps and receives direct afternoon sun in the summer (it gets over 100 deg often). The cast aluminum Propel drive is very durable.

Native offers a 2-year warranty on the Propel drive.
      John Veil
      Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

John,

I really like the sleek lines of that boat.

Good luck on the water this week.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

John,
          Do you have any idea of its price?
          John Rentch
          Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
          Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Originally posted by J. Rentch View Post
            John,
            Do you have any idea of its price?
            The retail price is $2699.
            John Veil
            Annapolis

Comment

John, I was curious about how the boat cut through waves? The bow looks different than the Slayer. I have a mariner and I find 2' waves aren't much of a problem. Any concerns with the thermo formed plastic and ramp rash or do you have eazy keel on?

Thanks
              PigPen - Mt Airy
              Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Originally posted by PigPen View Post
                John, I was curious about how the boat cut through waves? The bow looks different than the Slayer. I have a mariner and I find 2' waves aren't much of a problem. Any concerns with the thermo formed plastic and ramp rash or do you have eazy keel on?

Thanks
                I do not own the LT at this time. My post above referred to a short test ride made in a small pond with flat water. I suspect that the LT will cut through waves reasonably well, but cannot offer any personal knowledge based on my 10-minute test ride.

From what I have read about thermoformed plastic is that it is more abrasion resistant than polyethylene (the plastic used in most kayaks) but is less puncture resistant. If I owned a thermoformed kayak I would not drag it across concrete or asphalt.
                John Veil
                Annapolis

Comment

Working...
                X