Tips for dealing with law enforcement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for dealing with law enforcement

1. It can't hurt to call them Sir, Mam or Officer. From my experience those on the job in uniform find Dude a tad insulting.
    2. While operating a motor vehicle on a public road have a driver's license, insurance and registration. While fishing have an ID and a current annual fishing license for the area you are fishing in.
    3. Answer their questions directly and honestly, eye contact by taking off your sunglasses is highly recommended.
    4. Turn off your radio, put out your cigarette and stop texting your boyfriend while chewing bubble gum when the Officer is speaking to you.
    5. Don't insult their intelligence, this really pisses them off. You will know that you have done this when they start to repeat themselves and change the tone of the conversation from casual to you need to comply now.
    6. These people have radios, dispatch and databases. They call in your name and their level of leniency is greatly dependant on how many previous interactions you have had with law enforcement in the not so distant past.
    7. DO NOT ARGUE WITH THEM UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES! This will only make the situation worse.
    8. Last but not least, say thank you for your service. Recognize that these individuals are some of the first responders when you are in trouble, and they are protecting our roads and shared resources.

These are just some tips from my experience while receiving warning citations for speeding, or not having a safety whistle on my new PFD. I have always had positive interactions with law enforcement, maybe it's the way I was raised. Maybe the Drill Instructors on Paris Island straightened me out when I joined the Marines on how to interact with authority figures.

On the flip side of this coin I have seen some of my buddies roll through a stop sign and argue themselves into a new set of bracelets and a free ride downtown in the back of a cruiser. I can think of a few of my old buddies who would definitely argue their way into a fine from a DNR officer. But they didn't follow any of these rules.

Please feel free to post some other helpful tips, or just say thanks to those who serv and protect us and the resources we love.

Good advice; especially on showing them respect. My roommate all through college is now a DNR officer here in on the ES of MD and he often complains of people doing many of the things you caution against. Ill add another one too.....know the regulations before you go. They don't have a lot of tolerance for someone not knowing the size limits or how many fish you were allowed to keep because that information is easily available.

Although there are a few officers that are more hard-nosed/strict than others, the majority would rather not write you a fine. Showing basic respect and cooperation will usually lead to them writing you a warning in the event you did commit a violation.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

A few adds:
      If stopped whilst driving, keep hands on the wheel and ask if it's ok to reach into glove compartment for registration or pocket for ID. Especially if it's dark.

Politeness counts!

Comment

It really pisses me off that we live in a day and age where people have to be told how to extend common courtesy to public servants. There is no such thing as a "routine" stop. When dealing with the DNR, or any other entity whose job is to enforce laws and regulations, be respectful and TELL THE FREAKING TRUTH! These officers deal with a wide variety of personalities, many of which have firearms, knives, and other lethal weapons. Don't get pissed off when you forgot your license at home or in your vehicle, just comply with what the officer tells you to do. I have never had a negative interaction with an officer that I was respectful to and when I reminded myself that the person was doing their job.
        Gregory
        ​Ain't Misbehavin'
        2014 Pro Angler 12
        '

Comment

When I lived in Guatemala, whenever I got stopped by the policia, I always used my worst Spanish, feigned understanding and acted fearless but clueless ...they would eventually get frustrated and let me be without further harrassment.
          Attempts to feign English skills in Maryland somehow does not result in the same desirable end......I guess I don't look Latino enough......

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
          Last edited by kevinfry; 03-23-2017, 07:47 PM.
          14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
          2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Working...
          X