Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handling rockfish in spawning season

Fellow anglers,

Much has been written (including posts on this site) about best practices for handling and releasing the fish we catch.
    I believe it's a topic that always deserves revisiting as new angler's come online. Many of our group are sensitive to conservation and will do their best to minimize the stress to the fish, especially this time of year when your catch may well be laden with eggs. If you think about it, for a species that not that long ago was under a full moratorium, we are fortunate to be able to fish at all in the spawning season. We should not take this spring C&R season for granted.

I believe that a yak-side release without hauling the fish out of the water is the best practice. If you do lift the fish, best not to hang vertically. Wet your hands, support the weight of the fish, and try not to remove the protective coating/slime. Don't delay if taking a photo and maybe consider how long you are comfortable under water?

Often times if you grab the lure, a simple flick of the wrist will release the fish off a barbless hook. If the fish requires reviving, it's good to lip the fish and pull it through the water to get flow over the gills. You can sense when the fish is ready to go and it will quickly turn tail.

As our sport continues to grow, fishing techniques are refined and shared by generous members of our community. As a result we are collectively catching a hell of a lot of fish.

Here's hoping that the kayak fishing community continues to develop a positive reputation and leads the way to the conservation of our resources.
    Tight lines and enjoy the spring season!
    Scott Taylor

As usual a great post Scott On point about the stress. We really have to protect these resources, or back to the "Dark Days" of a full moratorium.

Thanks

Yak67
    2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
    2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Comment

"Immediate" release, unharmed...is the requirement in the DNR regs...it has been reported that DNR has been issuing tickets for anglers taking "Hero" pictures and posting on social media...I measured my fish this week in the water and did not bring it in the boat...as my XR12 XRap had 2/0 Owner single replacement hooks that I filed the barbs off- release was very easy and although the fish had been held in the water at the boat, it swam away without any hesitation...could DNR give me a ticket for the "Immediate release" requirement because I took the time to measure the fish...maybe...
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
      X