C&R vs Closed Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C&R vs Closed Season

What is the practical difference between Catch & Release and Closed Season?

Say I'm out on the Pax and my blue cat line gets tipped by a striper.

Just kind of curious as to how DNR handles this rule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

You're not allowed to obviously target Striper in the closed areas.
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
      You're not allowed to obviously target Striper in the closed areas.
      Aside from running a rockfish flag up a pole, how does DNR determine what you are targeting?

2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
      Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Originally posted by buzz View Post
        Aside from running a rockfish flag up a pole, how does DNR determine what you are targeting?

That is a hot topic right now since people are getting ticketed for it right now in the closed Rockfish area on the Susquehanna. By the sound of it the way the DNR is calling it if you remove the fish from the water and not immediately release it (no taking photos etc) they are assuming you are targeting them.

Otherwise there is no real way to tell short of a boat trolling multiple lines with planer boards etc in an closed area. I have caught Bass, and Rockfish using the same tackle when targeting one or other through out the year. Even in the closed area when targeting Shad I was catching Schoolie Rockfish as well and would quick release them and didn't have any issues.
        Last edited by mi327; 03-22-2017, 02:40 PM.
        Mike

2015 Hidden Oak Slayer Propel 10

Comment

http://dnr2.maryland.gov/fisheries/p...d-release.aspx

^ ^ ^ Tips straight from DNR regarding C&R. ^ ^ ^

I think you need to clarify you question for better answers. I think you are referring to targeting a specific species, and another species (i.e. rockfish) sets the hook. This was recently discussed regarding DNR giving $250 tickets to fisherman removing striped bass from the water, so I would recommend playing it safe and practice unhooking while never removing the fish from the body of water. Seems like a grey area, i'd also like a clear answer but I do not think there is one...

Scott just posted a 'best practices' for striped bass, which in general applies to all fish:

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...pawning-season
          Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

It's not too hard to determine when someone is targeting stripers, especially during the closed season when stripers make up a huge percentage of the available fish to catch in affected waters. Clearly bottom fishing for catfish with cut bait in an area that has catfish isn't targeting stripers and would be acceptable. Do the same thing at the mouth of the Patuxent and you'll have a hard time convincing DNR that you're catfishing and not trying for a striper. Trolling just about anything will most likely be viewed as targeting and penalized accordingly. Same wth casting baits that normally catch rockfish.

Down here in the slower lower were lucky to have the bay and Potomac to offset the loss of the Patuxent for a couple of months. I view it as a very small price to pay for the long term health of the species and just avoid fishing it at all, even for perch in the back of creeks. That way there's no reason to worry about DNR interpreting your intent.
            Mike
            Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Working...
            X