First striper of the year!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First striper of the year!

It was a nice day in Deale, MD with the temps getting into the low 60s so I decided to go for a paddle about an hour after high tide. I figured if I'm going to paddle I may as well throw a few lines in and troll. The skunk was out for the first mile and a half. Still, the wind was light, tide was still moving relatively well, and the waves were non existent. As I was approaching the fish net off the pier at Franklin Manor (about 200 ft from it in about 12' of water) I finally caught my first one of the year. A 17" schoolie looking striper that I got back swimming in seconds after removing the substitute single hooks on the glass ghost xr10. I stopped and casted 360 degrees around me as I normally would when I catch one trolling as there are usually more there but no dice. Once I got around the net, I saw that it had dilapidated over the winter and no one had been by to repair it yet. However there were lots of posts remaining and I thought a larger fish might be lurking by one of them waiting to ambush. Again no dice. Although it was nice to see the sonar light up a few times. Looks like they were suspended at about 5'.

IMG_0287.jpg

Really nice to get out on the water again even if the fishing was slow. Hey, I didn't get skunked and it's only going to get better from now until the Bay boils in mid July.
    Native Titan Propel 12
    Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI

Solo Skiff
    Mercury 6hp
    Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Originally posted by Hawg View Post
    It was a nice day in Deale, MD with the temps getting into the low 60s so I decided to go for a paddle about an hour after high tide. I figured if I'm going to paddle I may as well throw a few lines in and troll. The skunk was out for the first mile and a half. Still, the wind was light, tide was still moving relatively well, and the waves were non existent. As I was approaching the fish net off the pier at Franklin Manor (about 200 ft from it in about 12' of water) I finally caught my first one of the year. A 17" schoolie looking striper that I got back swimming in seconds after removing the substitute single hooks on the glass ghost xr10. I stopped and casted 360 degrees around me as I normally would when I catch one trolling as there are usually more there but no dice. Once I got around the net, I saw that it had dilapidated over the winter and no one had been by to repair it yet. However there were lots of posts remaining and I thought a larger fish might be lurking by one of them waiting to ambush. Again no dice. Although it was nice to see the sonar light up a few times. Looks like they were suspended at about 5'.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21078[/ATTACH]

Really nice to get out on the water again even if the fishing was slow. Hey, I didn't get skunked and it's only going to get better from now until the Bay boils in mid July.
    What size/type of hook did you use to substitute the trebles?

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

Also what type of line and pound test did you use??
      2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

20 lb braided with 3 ft of 40 lb mono leader. The hooks were circle hooks that I filed the barb down on. I don't do much winter/pre trophy season fishing so not sure of their exact size. They were laying around in one of my trays. I'd say the shanks were about 3/4" long.
        Native Titan Propel 12

Solo Skiff
        Mercury 6hp

Comment

Those first trips of spring are so nice

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
          14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
          2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Always a great thing to get that first target fish of the year. Last year, as it was my first year really fishing from a kayak, and def first year trolling from one, I didn't catch a rockfish from my kayak until the July M&G. I'm hoping to get one much more much earlier this year, hopefully this weekend even.

Comment

They're out there. Just be sure to use barbless hooks and catch and release!
              Native Titan Propel 12

Solo Skiff
              Mercury 6hp

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
                Those first trips of spring are so nice

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
                Yes they are. However, if you're a paddler like I am, those first trips let you know how out of shape you've gotten over the winter. I'm sore today.
                Native Titan Propel 12

Solo Skiff
                Mercury 6hp

Comment

Working...
                X