Thursday - Jonas Green

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thursday - Jonas Green

The wind forecast for Thurs looks pretty good by late morning. It will be cold early but will warm a bit by late morning. Mark, John Rentch, and I plan to launch from Jonas Green about 11:30 and do some trolling in the lower Severn. At some point during the next few weeks, larger stripers should move into the Severn between Rt 50 and the river mouth and remain there for 3-4 weeks. I checked several times in the past few weeks and did not find them in spots where they will eventually be. For now, I will continue checking each week to see what I can find. Typically this spring run produces many fish in the low and mid 20s, a few in the upper 20s, and an occasional fish over 30. I got my personal best kayak striper of 37" in the lower Severn last April (see photo below). For some reason these larger fish show up, spend a few weeks, then are gone.

G - edited2.jpg

Anyone else who wants to fish that day is welcome to join us. You can start as early as you like, but we will not launch until about 11:30. The Severn is under catch and release status now. If you troll, you must crimp the barbs on your hooks. Also please be careful to release any fish quickly to avoid stressing them and also avoid any conflicts with DNR police officers. We will be on VHF channel 68.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Would love to join you, but the earliest I could get down there would be 4pm, and my gf is having an old college friend over for dinner, so I have to be back for that. I'm very interested in joining you next time though, keep me posted. Are you fishing over the weekend?

Comment

Someday when I grow up I will be able to fish during the work week, but first I gotta stop working. Hope you guys get into them. Look forward to a good report John.
      Gregory
      ​Ain't Misbehavin'
      2014 Pro Angler 12
      '

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
        The wind forecast for Thurs looks pretty good by late morning. It will be cold early but will warm a bit by late morning. Mark, John Rentch, and I plan to launch from Jonas Green about 11:30 and do some trolling in the lower Severn. At some point during the next few weeks, larger stripers should move into the Severn between Rt 50 and the river mouth and remain there for 3-4 weeks. I checked several times in the past few weeks and did not find them in spots where they will eventually be. For now, I will continue checking each week to see what I can find. Typically this spring run produces many fish in the low and mid 20s, a few in the upper 20s, and an occasional fish over 30. I got my personal best kayak striper of 37" in the lower Severn last April (see photo below). For some reason these larger fish show up, spend a few weeks, then are gone.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21077[/ATTACH]

Anyone else who wants to fish that day is welcome to join us. You can start as early as you like, but we will not launch until about 11:30. The Severn is under catch and release status now. If you troll, you must crimp the barbs on your hooks. Also please be careful to release any fish quickly to avoid stressing them and also avoid any conflicts with DNR police officers. We will be on VHF channel 68.
        John I fished the "slower Lower" Monday- water temps were 44.7 degrees and it was really slow- did manage one 28 inch fish at peak tide flow on the outgoing tide on a big XRap- it was the only fish I saw and I was logging some real estate with side scan- I saw nada...nothing on sonar...so I doubt the big mamas are that far up yet- probably around Yorktown/Poquson area just hanging out until the temps come up around 48-50 degrees...
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
          Would love to join you, but the earliest I could get down there would be 4pm, and my gf is having an old college friend over for dinner, so I have to be back for that. I'm very interested in joining you next time though, keep me posted. Are you fishing over the weekend?
          One of the advantages of being retired or semi-retired is that you can fish often during the week. I cannot speak for Mark or John, but I will be fishing in Florida next weekend not locally.
          John Veil
          Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
            John I fished the "slower Lower" Monday- water temps were 44.7 degrees and it was really slow- did manage one 28 inch fish at peak tide flow on the outgoing tide on a big XRap- it was the only fish I saw and I was logging some real estate with side scan- I saw nada...nothing on sonar...so I doubt the big mamas are that far up yet- probably around Yorktown/Poquson area just hanging out until the temps come up around 48-50 degrees...

Ron-

You are probably right. My plan is to get out at least once a week over the next month to catch the first wave of larger fish. Once I find them, I will fish many times as long as they remain locally.
            John Veil
            Annapolis

Comment

Yep, we have the same plan...I'll pm you when I get into them...last year it was after the first of April...

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                Yep, we have the same plan...I'll pm you when I get into them...last year it was after the first of April...
                Mind cc'ing me on that pm? Haha

Comment

I'll pm you I am going and invite you to go with me...I probably fish alone 60-75% of the time...and I always invite folks...and I have yet to be skunked in my new Outback...Lady Luck is living up to her name...on each and every fishing trip since she came home with me last September she has been slimed...so the likelihood we will find fish is there- so come go with me...no- I was wrong- just remember that Abel and I fished the St. Mary's River together in January and I did not land a fish that day...she has had the skunk on her once...
                  Last edited by ronaultmtd; 03-21-2017, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Good luck, I was out there Saturday morning. Went out to the research center, back along the academy up to the 50 bridge and back past manresa. I caught one 17" fish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck, I'd like to join you but can't make it this week. I can fish during the week sometimes so maybe I can join you another time.

Mike

Comment

Here's a little something that might get you all excited... http://dnrweb.dnr.state.md.us/fisher...report/log.asp
                        Ryan
                        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
                          Here's a little something that might get you all excited... http://dnrweb.dnr.state.md.us/fisher...report/log.asp
                          So much for "immediately release"

Comment

Yep- that is why folks are getting DNR tickets...and it depends on the Game Warden's opinion as to issue you a ticket or a warning...

Comment

Looking forward to an impressive in-depth report from you John.

Shady - That dude has some balls to post that directly to the MD DNR page... Karma will catch up with him...
                              Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Working...
                              X