Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Early bird gets the trophy tautog (CBBT, Mar 17, 2017)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yak scientist,
    • Shimano Tescata (tsc63mh) $149.99 (for flounder/striper/Bull red/): 30-50 LB line, 200g/7 OZ jig weight. Backup for Tog/sheepshead rods. Very light for one-hand hook-set,, little too flexible for big Tog and sheepshead in deeper water.
    • Shimano Trevala S Jigging Casting Rod (TVSC63MH) $189.99 (for Tog and sheepshead or big fish): 50-80 LB line, 6 OZ lure weight. Very light for one-hand hook-set, inflexible for deeper water. I can cast 1 +OZ lure for striper

I also use Basspro graphite muskie rods for tog at $45-50

Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

I do have the KastKing Stealth (purchased it for my son), which is almost the exact same as the Royale Legend. The first unit we sent back for replacement as you could not set the brake down enough to keep it from backlashing. The replacement seems to be OK. The drag discs are carbon fiber, or so they appear. I opened it up to reply to this thread and found the drag was drenched in heavy oil or light grease, so if you have one I recommend you crack it open.

I can't recommend this reel. It does not come anywhere close to my Shimano Chronarch 50E or Shimano Curado 200G in terms of castability regardless of the price tag. The frustration isn't worth it. I really wanted to be one of those reviewers who loved this reel.

Comment

Originally posted by vhendrix View Post
        I do have the KastKing Stealth (purchased it for my son), which is almost the exact same as the Royale Legend. The first unit we sent back for replacement as you could not set the brake down enough to keep it from backlashing. The replacement seems to be OK. The drag discs are carbon fiber, or so they appear. I opened it up to reply to this thread and found the drag was drenched in heavy oil or light grease, so if you have one I recommend you crack it open.

I can't recommend this reel. It does not come anywhere close to my Shimano Chronarch 50E or Shimano Curado 200G in terms of castability regardless of the price tag. The frustration isn't worth it. I really wanted to be one of those reviewers who loved this reel.
        Thanks for the warning. I will try to carry an additional spare reel in the tackle bag to make sure I have enough backup reels. I don't cast with bait-casting reels. I gave up and I don't intend to cast at all except when I see feeding stripers - I can cast with a 2 OZ jig head without accuracy.
        I have two shimano reels Curado 201g6 and 301e along with 6 more bait-casting reels. These reels are supposed to be a good casting reels, but I never cast with these two reels, Jigging only so far.

I am testing the KastKing reel for Tautog/Sheepshead (drag set at 17#), Flounder (drag set at 8#) and bull red (drag set at 8-15#). I will report if I see any issues with the reel.

Joe
        Fish like there's no tomorrow.
        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Working...
        X