Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early bird gets the trophy tautog (CBBT, Mar 17, 2017)

Default Early bird gets the trophy tautog (CBBT, Mar 17, 2017)

I planned to fish two places, CBBT (Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel and Rudee Inlet, VA). I planned to catch a couple a tog (Tautog/Blackfish) quickly and move to Rudee Inlet for specks (Speckled Sea Trout).

The water temp dropped by 2-3 degrees in VA (by 7 degrees in Delaware Bay) because of the 7 days of cold weather (with snow).

I had only two tog bites for 3.5 hours. I didn’t get any bites near First Island. Both two bites occurred between the 1st and the 2nd small boat channels.
    The second bite resulted in a VA citation size Tog at 24.5”/9.0 LB.

I went to Rudee and fished for specks. Since the water temp dropped I didn’t expect much. I caught a 17” puppy drum and two small specks (10” and 16”).

BTW, Togging or Sheepshead fishing destroyed bait-casting reels. I think Cast-able bait-casting reels are made for just casting lures for big fish and small fish. I don’t think they are built for sinkers 3-8 OZ for kayak fishing- constant pushing the thumb bar and cranking with sinkers will destroy the small and light bait-casting reels. The price didn’t matter to me so far. So, First time I tested KastKing bait-casting reel. ($39.99 Amazon Prime) - KastKing Royale Legend Baitcasting Fishing Reel – Perfect Baitcasting Reel – 11 + 1 Shielded Bearings – 17.5 Lb Carbon Fiber Drag - 7.0:1 Gear Ratio

I set the drag all the way up to 17 LB when I caught the trophy. I guess I buy one more for a spare and keep the $250 reels at home

Fishing Log:

Thanks
    Joe
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 03-18-2017 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Change title
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.

Awesome job on the citation Joe!

That's a beautiful fish!
    -Mustafa
    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
    2016 Hobie Outback
    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Congrats on the citation, it was nice running into you at Rudee yesterday!
    Jake

Nice fish! Congrats!

I hear kastking reels have a bunch of false positive reviews, I would be curious to see if they actually have carbon fiber drag. Very nice fish though! The kind of abuse you put reels through, I would imagine like one of the old made in the us spinfishers or a daiwa black gold would be good spinners for those weights. Bug yeah like you said, might be just better to buy a few backup bargain reels for the same price.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Beautiful fish. Not my type of fishing but fun to live vicariously through you.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Nice one!
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

BTW, I tried from shore in Owl creek Saturday afternoon and only caught a crab... There were several kayakers out as well and they seemed to be having slow results as well.
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Dang, Joe! You certainly set the tog bar high for yourself early this year. That is a great tog for inshore!

Quote Originally Posted by yakscientist View Post
    I hear kastking reels have a bunch of false positive reviews...
    I've heard the same, there was a vendor selling some at the outdoor section of the MSSA Baltimore flea market this weekend in Essex, and while the 'price was right' I was still hesitant until I see more actual user reviews that I trust.
    First Lady: Hobie Ivory Sand Dune ProAngler 14
    Lowrance Elite 7 ti & Lowrance Hook 9
    Minn Kota Endura C2 30lb Trolling Pro

Backup Babe: Sand/Dune Equinox Future Beach Angler 12
    Lownce Elite 5 HDI & Kerrow composite paddle

Learning the Ropes & Living the Dream