Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Early bird gets the trophy tautog (CBBT, Mar 17, 2017)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early bird gets the trophy tautog (CBBT, Mar 17, 2017)

I planned to fish two places, CBBT (Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel and Rudee Inlet, VA). I planned to catch a couple a tog (Tautog/Blackfish) quickly and move to Rudee Inlet for specks (Speckled Sea Trout).

The water temp dropped by 2-3 degrees in VA (by 7 degrees in Delaware Bay) because of the 7 days of cold weather (with snow).

I had only two tog bites for 3.5 hours. I didn’t get any bites near First Island. Both two bites occurred between the 1st and the 2nd small boat channels.
    The second bite resulted in a VA citation size Tog at 24.5”/9.0 LB.

I went to Rudee and fished for specks. Since the water temp dropped I didn’t expect much. I caught a 17” puppy drum and two small specks (10” and 16”).

BTW, Togging or Sheepshead fishing destroyed bait-casting reels. I think Cast-able bait-casting reels are made for just casting lures for big fish and small fish. I don’t think they are built for sinkers 3-8 OZ for kayak fishing- constant pushing the thumb bar and cranking with sinkers will destroy the small and light bait-casting reels. The price didn’t matter to me so far. So, First time I tested KastKing bait-casting reel. ($39.99 Amazon Prime) - KastKing Royale Legend Baitcasting Fishing Reel – Perfect Baitcasting Reel – 11 + 1 Shielded Bearings – 17.5 Lb Carbon Fiber Drag - 7.0:1 Gear Ratio

I set the drag all the way up to 17 LB when I caught the trophy. I guess I buy one more for a spare and keep the $250 reels at home

Fishing Log:

Thanks
    Joe
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 03-18-2017, 10:53 AM. Reason: Change title
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Awesome job on the citation Joe!

That's a beautiful fish!
    -Mustafa
    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
    2016 Hobie Outback
    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Congrats on the citation, it was nice running into you at Rudee yesterday!
      J

Comment

Nice fish! Congrats!

Comment

I hear kastking reels have a bunch of false positive reviews, I would be curious to see if they actually have carbon fiber drag. Very nice fish though! The kind of abuse you put reels through, I would imagine like one of the old made in the us spinfishers or a daiwa black gold would be good spinners for those weights. Bug yeah like you said, might be just better to buy a few backup bargain reels for the same price.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Comment

Beautiful fish. Not my type of fishing but fun to live vicariously through you.
            Mike
            Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Nice one!
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

BTW, I tried from shore in Owl creek Saturday afternoon and only caught a crab... There were several kayakers out as well and they seemed to be having slow results as well.
                Ryan
                Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Dang, Joe! You certainly set the tog bar high for yourself early this year. That is a great tog for inshore!
                  Brian

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
                    I hear kastking reels have a bunch of false positive reviews...
                    I've heard the same, there was a vendor selling some at the outdoor section of the MSSA Baltimore flea market this weekend in Essex, and while the 'price was right' I was still hesitant until I see more actual user reviews that I trust.
                    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
                      BTW, I tried from shore in Owl creek Saturday afternoon and only caught a crab... There were several kayakers out as well and they seemed to be having slow results as well.
                      a 7 day long cold days ruined/ and will continuously hurts few more days. I think this coming weekend can be OK, I hope in Rudee and CBBT. I want to try CHSP as long as the water temp stay above 46F for 3 days.
                      Joe
                      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
                        I hear kastking reels have a bunch of false positive reviews, I would be curious to see if they actually have carbon fiber drag. Very nice fish though! The kind of abuse you put reels through, I would imagine like one of the old made in the us spinfishers or a daiwa black gold would be good spinners for those weights. Bug yeah like you said, might be just better to buy a few backup bargain reels for the same price.

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
                        I've heard the same, there was a vendor selling some at the outdoor section of the MSSA Baltimore flea market this weekend in Essex, and while the 'price was right' I was still hesitant until I see more actual user reviews that I trust.
                        We are all hesitant when buying a new brand especially at a low price. Sometimes I wanted to test the new brand by myself. So I am doing it now. I don't cast with bait-casting reels. I gave up. I jig or bottom fish 95% of the time with heavy lure and heavy sinker. I am going to see if this KastiKing can survive for two years of fishing for flounder/tautog/sheepshead. It it does, it is a good reel for me. This reel comes with a spool that can land a 50" plus bull red. (I use 50# test KastKing braided). So I will use this reel from now on until it breaks.

BTW, I have been using Kasting braided for years. I like KastKing a lot. KastKing braided are thicker than PowerPro. I don't see big diameter differences on 10, 15, 20, and 30# test lines. The diameter of 50# test KastKing is equivalent to 55# test PowerPro if there is 55# test. I have all KastKing braided up to 60# test. I will continuously buy a 1000 yard rolls.

Joe

Comment

Yeah I was curious about the line. I look forward to your review of the reel, and I can attest that sometimes you can get a lot for the money. I have really enjoyed my okuma reel, but the difference in quality between it and the daiwa I just got is crazy. But its very similar to the shimano baitrunner I've had for years, which was over 2x the price, and has certainly held up to kayak fishing and surf fishing too. I really like the old Penn senator reels, or the level winds, but at most price points, today's Penn reels are outmatched by others. I misunderstood your post as saying you ruined a kastking reel, I thought that was the baitcaster you were referring to. What model is the kastking you just got, and are you switching to a spinner or is it another baitcaster? And what rods do you use for those heavy weights? Sorry for all the questions.

Comment

Nvm saw the reel model on your first post. My bad.

Comment

I've been using a kastking spinning reel for two seasons, along with all my Shimano reels, and they have held up really well surprisingly (for the price that is). But not all are made the same I have an Orca all metal reel and their bait runner which is part metal part plastic. The orca is really solid but the bait runner feels a little cheap when reeling in a fish.
                              I would definitely buy another one of their all metal reels again.
                              -Mustafa
                              ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                              2016 Hobie Outback
                              2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                              "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Working...
                              X