No announcement yet.

Getting Started - List of things needed and nice to have

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going to add, a floatplan. It's not something you would bring with you, but something you share with others to minimize terrible accidents.

I often place a note under my windshield wiper indicating where I'm going & when I expect to be back. I only do this if I have nothing in my vehicle likely to be stolen.
    Red 2015 Hobie Outback
    Olive 2015 PA 14

Comment

Originally posted by dasher View Post
      I'm going to add, a floatplan. It's not something you would bring with you, but something you share with others to minimize terrible accidents.

I often place a note under my windshield wiper indicating where I'm going & when I expect to be back. I only do this if I have nothing in my vehicle likely to be stolen.
      That note idea is a good one, and a good point about caution regarding theft. I always tell my gf where I'm going, where I'm launching from, and when I expect to generally be back on shore. And I text her right as I'm about to launch with the same information, and if a launch spot has changed, I will note that as well of course. I like the text because it gives her a written account of those specifics, in the event of the worst case scenario type stuff. I may start just writing it down on a note and leaving it in the kitchen as I'm walking out the door, in case she's not up yet in time to respond to my text at early hours in the morning.

Comment

I agree that a float plan is a good idea.

The gate personnel at Downs Park and sometimes at Fort Smallwood Park in Anne Arundel County will ask you where you intend to travel in your kayak. They'll record your plan and your vehicle's tag number. I have never viewed their queries as intrusive. I'm glad they asked.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thanks everyone. Updated the list with
          - Float Plan and whistle on the required safety list
          - Updated tier 1 accessories list with bug repellent and hand sanitizer

For someone who is starting, they better understand they will have to spend 20 to 40% more to get all the necessary equipment. I can't imagine the cost of owning a boat!
          2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Yep- and then you will find after a few trips in the salt that you will pare that list down considerably- I am getting more and more minimalistic every year- Cutting back on the number of rods and carry much less tackle- my necessity list is is a lot different- I use my cell phone to communicate with my fishing buddies and even though I have a VHF hand held- I rarely carry it- my sunscreen is in a tiny tube attached to my keys- I wear a wide brimmed hat, a buff and long sleeved spf 50 shirt and Columbia nylon spf 50 fishing pants, Costa Hammerhead sunglasses, a Hobie inflatable PFD that I wear at all times, Stohlquist 5mm neoprene boots...I consider my Hummingbird 798ci HD combo essential...get in really thick fog one time and you will figure out why...I have a whistle on a lanyard on my PFD and a paddle in the paddle keeper that rarely gets used...but it is required equipment...
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
            X