Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting Started - List of things needed and nice to have

Only thing I see not mentioned the Dnr may ask you to show is a whistle or sounding horn. even though you included a vhf they still ask to see either.
    Sun Camo Feel Free Lure 13.5
    Lowrance Elite 7 ti w/Totalscan
    B & C Power Yaks transom mount
    Minn Kota 45 Riptide
    Gama Electronics RF340-80A-SC wireless pwm controller
    Re-Lion 75Ah Lithium Iron Deep Cycle

I thought of something else.

This is dependent on where I am going and the time of year -- Insect repellant.

Flies/gnats can get nasty when you are fishing the reedy shorelines on the Eastern Shore. I carry a can of repellant with me when I head to those areas in the summer. Otherwise I spend more time swatting and scratching than fishing.
    Mark

Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I thought of something else.

This is dependent on where I am going and the time of year -- Insect repellant.

Flies/gnats can get nasty when you are fishing the reedy shorelines on the Eastern Shore. I carry a can of repellant with me when I head to those areas in the summer. Otherwise I spend more time swatting and scratching than fishing.
    +1 on this
    Recently, I was told of an organization called "Insect Shield" (http://www.insectshield.com/shop/) that treats their clothes and I believe some major outdoor retailers, such as EMS and REI are carrying clothing treated with this.
    Jake

This may tailor into what yakscientist mentioned, but I have a Plano waterproof box inlieu of a drybag (i actually have both, but the drybox gets used way more often)

You only drop your $1100 iphone 6+ into your footwell one time, and never make that mistake again.........

This one also may be obvious, but some of us have gear which integrates our fishing license - if you're smart you will make extra copies and I keep one in my soft tackle bag, one in my hard tackle box, one in my wallet and one in my glovbox of my truck. No matter which tackle I bring with me, I always have a copy of my license.

Whistle or Airhorn is required by DNR from my understanding, so that should be on the required list.

I'll think of more later on during the workday
    First Lady: Hobie Ivory Sand Dune Hobie ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Backup Babe (Girlfriends Ride): Carribean Blue Hobie Outback Lowrance Elite 5 HDI w/ Pumpkin Spice Latte holder

Learning the Ropes & Living the Dream

I'd put greater priority on a cart. While you can get by without one, you're setting yourself up for way more time at the launch and return. If you're by yourself that means lugging the empty kayak down to the water, going back and forth to your vehicle for rods and other gear, then rigging it all up at the launch. With a cart you do all this next to your vehicle and the reverse when loading. You can buy a universal cart for cheap, just get one. Some of the launches are a good distance from the parking lot, it might save you 10-20 mins each way which is 20-40 mins more fishing time.
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

I'm going to add, a floatplan. It's not something you would bring with you, but something you share with others to minimize terrible accidents.

I often place a note under my windshield wiper indicating where I'm going & when I expect to be back. I only do this if I have nothing in my vehicle likely to be stolen.
    Red 2015 Hobie Outback
    Olive 2015 PA 14

Quote Originally Posted by dasher View Post
    I'm going to add, a floatplan. It's not something you would bring with you, but something you share with others to minimize terrible accidents.

I often place a note under my windshield wiper indicating where I'm going & when I expect to be back. I only do this if I have nothing in my vehicle likely to be stolen.
    That note idea is a good one, and a good point about caution regarding theft. I always tell my gf where I'm going, where I'm launching from, and when I expect to generally be back on shore. And I text her right as I'm about to launch with the same information, and if a launch spot has changed, I will note that as well of course. I like the text because it gives her a written account of those specifics, in the event of the worst case scenario type stuff. I may start just writing it down on a note and leaving it in the kitchen as I'm walking out the door, in case she's not up yet in time to respond to my text at early hours in the morning.

I agree that a float plan is a good idea.

The gate personnel at Downs Park and sometimes at Fort Smallwood Park in Anne Arundel County will ask you where you intend to travel in your kayak. They'll record your plan and your vehicle's tag number. I have never viewed their queries as intrusive. I'm glad they asked.
    Mark

Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

Thanks everyone. Updated the list with
    - Float Plan and whistle on the required safety list
    - Updated tier 1 accessories list with bug repellent and hand sanitizer

For someone who is starting, they better understand they will have to spend 20 to 40% more to get all the necessary equipment. I can't imagine the cost of owning a boat!

Yep- and then you will find after a few trips in the salt that you will pare that list down considerably- I am getting more and more minimalistic every year- Cutting back on the number of rods and carry much less tackle- my necessity list is is a lot different- I use my cell phone to communicate with my fishing buddies and even though I have a VHF hand held- I rarely carry it- my sunscreen is in a tiny tube attached to my keys- I wear a wide brimmed hat, a buff and long sleeved spf 50 shirt and Columbia nylon spf 50 fishing pants, Costa Hammerhead sunglasses, a Hobie inflatable PFD that I wear at all times, Stohlquist 5mm neoprene boots...I consider my Hummingbird 798ci HD combo essential...get in really thick fog one time and you will figure out why...I have a whistle on a lanyard on my PFD and a paddle in the paddle keeper that rarely gets used...but it is required equipment...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Outback
    "Ugly Duckling" 2010 Olive Hobie Outback
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13