Getting Started - List of things needed and nice to have

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Started - List of things needed and nice to have

After more than 10 years of being absent, I'm preparing myself to dive into the world of kayak fishing. I have a made a list of things that are needed and nice to have below and also in a spreadsheet to plan and track my purchases. I wanted to solicit people's feedback on my list and see if I'm missing anything. This is a result of my research and of course my opinion.

This is for Maryland/VA bay fishing in warm seasons.

Kayak - required
    1. Kayak
    2. Transport - this can range from Styrofoam blocks, roof racks, trailer or a new vehicle.
    3. Paddle
    4. Kayak repair kit - anything related to safety with your kayak

Safety - required
    1. PFD
    2. VHF Radio or some sort of way to communicate that you are in trouble
    3. Safety knife
    4. Flag
    5. Light - if fishing in the dark
    6. Whistle - required by law
    7. First aid items - kit or simple as ziploc bag with stuff
    8. Float Plan - could be simple as texting someone where you are or actual itinerary of your day

Sun Protection - required - I prefer this to be required unless you embrace the risk of getting cancer
    1. Sun block or clothe for sun protection
    2. Sunglasses
    3. Hat

Fishing - required
    1. Fishing rod
    2. Fishing reel
    3. Fishing License - based on regulation of the area
    4. Fishing tackle - hooks, weights, lures and etc.
    5. Fish measurement - hog trough, ruler, measuring tape
    6. Fishing pliers

Accessories - optional - tier 1
    1. Fishing rod transport - rod holders, crate and etc.
    2. Kayak Cart - based on distance you need to travel to get to your fishing spot, weight of the kayak, physical ability
    3. Fish landing equipment - net, fish holder
    4. Fish keeping equipment - cooler, fish bag, clips
    5. Tackle Organizer
    6. Tools - screwdriver, wrench and etc.
    7. Backup straps - just in case your straps fail for transport
    8. Hand Sanitizer
    9. Bug Spray - depends on location and bugs

Accessories - optional - tier 2
    1. Fishfinder setup - fishfinder, mounts, battery, wires
    2. Anchor setup - anchor, anchor trolley
    3. GPS or map

Accessories - optional - tier 3
    1. Camera Setup - camera, mounts, holders
    Last edited by Seasalt; 03-15-2017, 02:44 PM.
    2015 Hobie Revolution 11

I would move pliers to required, and things I would consider adding to required would be hand sanitizer (especially in the summer, the warm Bay water can harbor many pathogens which can turn a simple wound into a serious condition), sunglasses/sun hat, a waterproof cell phone sleeve (amazon), and as for optional but still important, maybe a fish measuring device like a hog trough, and some neoprene booties (great for wearing while lugging a kayak over sharp rocks, pebbles, etc. As for specifics, I recommend ugly stik rods, shimano sahara or baitrunner reels, daiwa bg sw reels, and for lures I recommend paddle tail swimbaits and 1/4 oz heads all the way up to 2 oz heads depending on how deep you are fishing. Though if paddle trolling (my favorite method), I would always recommend having a 1/4oz head with a paddletail out while moving around, most of my fish are caught on that, and it's a good way to figure out where to stop and fish.

Comment

Good feedback. Yes, I think I will need to add a new category for sun protection. Thanks! Updated my list.
      2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Your list is excellent and very similar to checklists I have in my garage to help me remember to bring what I need. I actually have two checklists, one for each of my kayaks because the ancillary items needed for each differ.

Two things not mentioned on your list that I carry are:

Tools -- I bring two small screwdrivers and a small adjustable crescent wrench. I keep them in my boats. Both of my boats have a number of screws and bolts and in the case of my Mirage Drive a variety of moving parts that may need on-site tightening or repair. My tools have indeed come in handy -- once to reattach a Mirage Drive fin and once to adjust my rudder.

Backup Ratchet Straps -- I use ratchet straps to car-top my boats. I carry an extra set in my van as a backup. On one occasion I had to use a backup strap. The rear strap on my boat failed at some point on a trip from my house in Pasadena to Jonas Green. I didn't know it until I got to the park but I recall hearing a thump while I was departing my neighborhood. I stopped and checked and didn't notice anything amiss. But I suspect the strap started to fail at that point. Interestingly I drove the route, approximately 15 miles at times at 55 mph with only the front strap firmly holding my Revo in place.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Good list. Remember storage of the yak and gear as well.

As an option consider long sleeve upf50 clothing instead of sunscreen. Including a buff. Protect your feet also.

Comment

That is a good checklist. I would add a small ziploc or other container with a few bandaids, some Neosporin and a pack of Goody's or BC powders. The headache powders have rescued me a few times! I never go out without kayak fuel either; at least 2 PB&J sandwiches, a large Snickers bar (the ones with two in a pack) or a granola bar and a couple Gatorades.
            2013 WS Ride 135
            2015 WS Ride 115

Comment

Thanks for the review and feedback. Updated the list with first aid and clothe for sun protection. I left out food and water because that seems too obvious.
              Last edited by Seasalt; 03-14-2017, 10:11 PM.
              2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Some people advocate bringing that wound seal or Celox powder that facilitates clotting. If badly cut I'll use duct tape, superglue or consider more extreme measures (sew it with a fish hook and braid).

Some people bring hook cutting pliers. Barbless fishing is a bettter solution.

Kinda morbid but accidents do happen.

Comment

Seasalt, when I saw the lenght of you list I thought no way, then I read it. I carry or use everything on your list except the repair kit and hans sanitizer. Dynamite list you have there and I would only add one thing as necessary. I didn't see Mr. Peebottle on your list, an empty Gatorade bottle works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptCHawk View Post
                    Seasalt, when I saw the lenght of you list I thought no way, then I read it. I carry or use everything on your list except the repair kit and hans sanitizer. Dynamite list you have there and I would only add one thing as necessary. I didn't see Mr. Peebottle on your list, an empty Gatorade bottle works fine.
                    Good point Captain. I remember needing to pee when I was in my kayak and away from the shore, I think I was near the lighthouse at Sandy Point. I wonder how other people handle this situation.

Well, my beloved, dysfunctional football team, their assistant coach uses a Gatorade bottle also. I wish I can piss on the entire team right now.

1024-ben-kotwica-pee-sidelines-cup-redskins-launch-9.jpg
                    Last edited by Seasalt; 03-15-2017, 12:04 AM.
                    2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Only thing I see not mentioned the Dnr may ask you to show is a whistle or sounding horn. even though you included a vhf they still ask to see either.

Comment

I thought of something else.

This is dependent on where I am going and the time of year -- Insect repellant.

Flies/gnats can get nasty when you are fishing the reedy shorelines on the Eastern Shore. I carry a can of repellant with me when I head to those areas in the summer. Otherwise I spend more time swatting and scratching than fishing.
                        Mark
                        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                          I thought of something else.

This is dependent on where I am going and the time of year -- Insect repellant.

Flies/gnats can get nasty when you are fishing the reedy shorelines on the Eastern Shore. I carry a can of repellant with me when I head to those areas in the summer. Otherwise I spend more time swatting and scratching than fishing.
                          +1 on this
                          Recently, I was told of an organization called "Insect Shield" (http://www.insectshield.com/shop/) that treats their clothes and I believe some major outdoor retailers, such as EMS and REI are carrying clothing treated with this.
                          J

Comment

This may tailor into what yakscientist mentioned, but I have a Plano waterproof box inlieu of a drybag (i actually have both, but the drybox gets used way more often)

You only drop your $1100 iphone 6+ into your footwell one time, and never make that mistake again.........

This one also may be obvious, but some of us have gear which integrates our fishing license - if you're smart you will make extra copies and I keep one in my soft tackle bag, one in my hard tackle box, one in my wallet and one in my glovbox of my truck. No matter which tackle I bring with me, I always have a copy of my license.

Whistle or Airhorn is required by DNR from my understanding, so that should be on the required list.

I'll think of more later on during the workday
                            Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

I'd put greater priority on a cart. While you can get by without one, you're setting yourself up for way more time at the launch and return. If you're by yourself that means lugging the empty kayak down to the water, going back and forth to your vehicle for rods and other gear, then rigging it all up at the launch. With a cart you do all this next to your vehicle and the reverse when loading. You can buy a universal cart for cheap, just get one. Some of the launches are a good distance from the parking lot, it might save you 10-20 mins each way which is 20-40 mins more fishing time.
                              2015 Hobie Outback
                              2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Working...
                              X