Warning !!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warning !!!!!

Seems the DNR is giving $250 tickets to anyone catching and taking pics of the catch on the Susky. According to the regs, there isn't a catch and return season. It was posted on Tidalfish.

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
    Seems the DNR is giving $250 tickets to anyone catching and taking pics of the catch on the Susky. According to the regs, there isn't a catch and return season. It was posted on Tidalfish.
    Correct, above lapidum they are out of season and can't be targeted.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

Let's qualify this a bit. That reg is for striped bass. It's been that way since I've lived here. During this time of year if accidently caught they are to be returned immediately also if your rig appears to be targeting striped bass they will cite you. Same goes for the Northern part of the flats during this time.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldbayrunner View Post
        Same goes for the Northern part of the flats during this time.
        I'm thinking the map at http://dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/Pages/map2.aspx shows the entire flats as C&R.
        Bill

2018 Hobie Compass - Seagrass Green
        2015 Wilderness Ride 135 - Green Camo

Comment

Originally posted by LivinTheDream View Post
          I'm thinking the map at http://dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/Pages/map2.aspx shows the entire flats as C&R.
          The Flats are C&R during this period, but the Susquehanna River is only C&R part way up. You need to know the boundary.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I stand corrected the flats are C&R at this time. I was mis-informed by one of my DNR buddies.

Comment

Guys were getting ticketed in the legal catch and release area...that's the concern, not the off limits area.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Kokatat Pro Staff
              Torqeedo Pro Staff
              Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
              Alan

Comment

The actual text of the striped bass regulations can be found at http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/com...8.02.15.03.htm (COMAR 08.02.15.03). They are not easy to read and comprehend -- that is why DNR made the series of striped bass maps showing which regions are: catch and keep, catch and release, and do not target.

The relevant section for the Susquehanna ticketing issue described in this post is:

"D. General Fishing Restrictions.
                (1) Except as provided in Regulation .09 of this chapter, during the period March 1 through May 31, a person may not catch, harass, harm, pursue, hunt, shoot, wound, or attempt to catch striped bass or striped bass hybrids in the striped bass spawning rivers and areas listed in §B of this regulation.

(2) Notwithstanding §D(1) of this regulation, during the period March 1 through May 3, inclusive, a person authorized in accordance with Natural Resources Article, §4-745, Annotated Code of Maryland, to recreationally angle for finfish may hook striped bass and shall immediately release the striped bass unharmed to the water from which the striped bass was taken in the following areas:

(a) Susquehanna Flats, upstream of a line from a point at or near Sandy Point, defined by Lat. 39°26.96'N and Long. 76°03.63'W; then running in an easterly direction to a point at or near Turkey Point, defined by Lat. 39°27.13'N and Long. 76°00.70'W and the Susquehanna River downstream from a line connecting a point at or near the Susquehanna State Park boat ramp in Lapidum, defined by Lat. 39°35.86'N and Long. 76°07.67'W; then running in a northeasterly direction to a point at or near Twin Rocks, defined by Lat. 39°36.17'N and Long. 76°07.56'W; then running in a northeasterly direction to a point at or near Tomes Wharf in Port Deposit, defined by Lat. 39°36.23'N and Long. 76°06.99'W; and "

The phrase that I underlined in D(2) is the key to the ticketing. "Immediately" may be interpreted by different persons to include or not include such actions as: a) lifting the fish into your kayak, b) placing it on a measuring board, and c) taking a photograph (either your own photo or holding the fish in the air to have a buddy take a photo). Many of us, myself included, have historically brought stripers into the kayak, measured them, and took photos. In the past, I never felt that these activities harmed the fish or were outside a reasonable interpretation of "immediately". I have always focused on doing these activities quickly so that the fish was not out of water for very long. But it is possible that either some individual officers or a broader policy from DNR has led to a more narrow interpretation of "immediately" this year.

From a practical standpoint, if you choose to fish on the Flats or elsewhere during the catch and release season, it makes sense to know the regulations and to keep your eyes open to see if any DNR boats or helicopters are operating near enough to you to watch what you are doing. Regardless of which actions you choose to include in your own definition of "immediately" I encourage all who pursue catch and release fishing to place the health and survival of the fish first -- get them unhooked and back in the water as quickly as possible, if you do want a photo try to have your camera ready to go before landing the fish, and never place your fingers in the gills.
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

For what it's worth,
                  Back in the days when I used to fish from shore immediately below Conowingo Dam, the DNR used to tell us that we could not use a lure, i.e. a curly tail jig, etc. that was longer than 2 3/4" during the closed season.
                  This allowed the fishermen who were legitimately trying to catch walleyes, shad, and perch to continue to fish for them, while minimizing the chance of catching the bigger stripers.
                  If they saw you using anything larger, they'd warn you once....maybe. I had one DNR officer see me catch several small rock on a shad dart (obviously shad fishing), and he recommended that I "relocate."

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post
                    For what it's worth,
                    Back in the days when I used to fish from shore immediately below Conowingo Dam, the DNR used to tell us that we could not use a lure, i.e. a curly tail jig, etc. that was longer than 2 3/4" during the closed season.
                    This allowed the fishermen who were legitimately trying to catch walleyes, shad, and perch to continue to fish for them, while minimizing the chance of catching the bigger stripers.
                    If they saw you using anything larger, they'd warn you once....maybe. I had one DNR officer see me catch several small rock on a shad dart (obviously shad fishing), and he recommended that I "relocate."
                    That's not a bad rule to keep guys from targeting rock up river. Folks will still catch a couple on smaller lures, but at least it's a legitimate effort to target walleye, small mouth, etc.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Kokatat Pro Staff
                    Torqeedo Pro Staff
                    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                    Alan

Comment

Working...
                    X