Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Puppy Drum of 2017 (Rudee, VA, Mar 10, 2017)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Puppy Drum of 2017 (Rudee, VA, Mar 10, 2017)

The windy cold front was supposed to move in again on Saturday. So I fished on Friday. When I checked at 2:00 AM, the wind was strong and the directions of the winds in both CBBT (Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel), VA and the Cape Henlopen Inner Wall, DE were the worst. So I headed for Rudee, VA, a safe kayak-fishing water.

The water cooled down a bit by the previous cold front. The water temp was 48-50 F. Though I felt I could land a couple of puppies.
    I caught tiny stripers and specks. Eventually I caught two puppies at 20” and 17 ¾”.

Fishing Log:

I think the cold front moved in on Saturday will ruin fishing in Cape Henlopen Inner Wall, DE, and Rudee for a while.
    Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Great trip! I fished there a few years ago with not even a hit. I wondered if It may have had to do with fishing the wrong tide.

Comment

Originally posted by HeaveToo View Post
      Great trip! I fished there a few years ago with not even a hit. I wondered if It may have had to do with fishing the wrong tide.
      I like incoming tide usually. Usually incoming tide bringing in clear water. When the water is stained partially, I look for the clearer water to fish.
      But fish come in and go out. Sometimes they stay for days, sometimes stay only 2-3 hours.
      Also I fish where the water is warmer (Mar-Mid May). Sometimes the water temp in the mouth of inlet, in the middle and creeks are quite different by as much as 5 degrees at the same time.
      Right now (Cold water) they are biting small lures (3.5-4") in 8-12' of water

Joe
      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Nice work Joe! I'll be down there next weekend for the marathon, but not bringing the yak. Do you know any decent spots for try from land for specks or drum?
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
          Nice work Joe! I'll be down there next weekend for the marathon, but not bringing the yak. Do you know any decent spots for try from land for specks or drum?
          You can shore-fishing off the southern shore (right side from the boat ramp facing the museum) After the boat ramp Right turn to the main water (first point). After that the second point is the best spot). You will see boaters will cast between the first and second points. After the second point, you can fish some more spots before the islands. It's can be muddy. Wear proper shoes. Puppies will be caught 7' - 3' deep water (casting from the shore).

Let the lure hit the bottom. slow retrieve while lifting the lure a foot up and down. Jig weight (3/16 - 1/4 oz), lead or red jig head, I like BA salt Pepper with green tail. or silver swim bait (3.5-4") for next weekend. I think a few 18-20" Specks will be in next weekend. you may bring some mirro-lure type slow-sinking crank bait (for the distance when facing the wind). if you use a plastic lure, use 20# test braided. You may snag weeds very often.

Right now I use 15# braided and 20# mono leader for longer distance casting with smaller lures. Once Specks in thick I use 20# braided (bigger lure/bigger fish/more actions, expecting bigger fish possibly big bluefish)

I think there is a chance bigger specks may come in a lot next weekend. If that happens (you can learn from kayakers/boaters actions), you may not let the lure hit the bottom- Mirro-Lure will be good
          I caught many specks on Mar 21 last year. The water temp was 49 F- 53 F.
          Here is log for Speck catching on Mar 21 last year. Specks came in earlier last year. I think it will happen again this year:

Joe
          Last edited by ComeOnFish; 03-12-2017, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Awesome Joe, thank! I will probably bring waders. I'll try yo zuris and paddle tails
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Working...
            X