Surf fishing for sharks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surf fishing for sharks

I'm new to the area and to saltwater fishing. I'm super interested into hooking into sharks, but before I hop on a kayak and attempt something like that I want to get the feel for catching sharks from the surf first. so my question is where is a good place to catch decent sized sharks. I'm around Annapolis, MD area if that helps any.

I have no personal experience with sharking from the beach but there is a dedicated group of guys who did it from Assateague Island. They usually fish at night and post some impressive sharks. A google search for Assateague shark fishing should get you going. Hope to see some pics from you one day.
    Tarpon 120, no electronics, no pedals.
    Tarpon 100, the karma boat.

Comment

I have caught them up to 5 feet long at night from the Assateague surf but never using a kayak. Fresh menhaden has been the best bait for me, either big chunks or heads. There are a lot of guys that kayak baits out 300+ yards to catch the really big ones, but I don't like the idea of launching my kayak in the surf at night personally. They are a blast to catch, but be ready to tangle with some massive rays.
      Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Are you looking to fish from a kayak or the beach?

The coastal beaches are your best bet for sharks. Early mornings, late evenings into night between June - October; leave the beaches to the crowds and swimmers during the day time. Any kind of cut bait works - bluefish, bunker, mullet, spot, croaker, skate, it doesn't matter as long as it's meat. Sharks in the 2 - 5 ft range are quite common, but you have the potential to hook into some serious sharks up to 8 - 9 ft., so make sure you have the appropriate gear and a plan for landing and unhooking it. And you don't have to have your bait out too far, there are some real bruisers running close to the shore break. As Rugbyfish mentioned, there are stingrays the size of truck hoods out there that can be darn near impossible to turn even with the right gear mixed in as well.

I'm not saying you will be, but as a word of warning - don't be a knucklehead about it and be discrete. Shark fishing from the beach can be a touchy issue and has sparked firestorms in the past. Especially when there are summer crowds and onlookers still on the beach.

Just as a note:
        On Delaware beaches it's illegal to drag any shark you catch up onto dry sand. You are required by law to unhook it at the waters edge while it's still in the water.
        In Ocean City, MD it is illegal to kayak out baits to be dropped for surf fishing, you have to cast the bait. Unless you go out and fish from your kayak. Then I think you'd be legal? There are restrictions on times you can fish from the beach during the summer season too.
        Assateague is a good place. It too will get crowded, but clear out in the evenings. Mosquitoes can be BRUTAL though on any wind coming off the land.
        You could also probably do the same in the back bays behind Assateague or Ocean City, but I've never tried there before.
        Brian

Comment

Be careful. There are a bunch of protected shark species. See... https://www.delaware-surf-fishing.co...les-clarified/

Comment

Surf fishing for sharks

My advice would be to go further south.

Sharks can be caught at Assateague but for the most part all you're gonna catch is sandbars, and sand tigers, unless you're paddling baits out. Also the sandbars out at Assateague can be very weird and make for some tough fishing.

Also to note, shark fishing in Assateague really only heats up from July-August.

However, if you're willing to drive down to the OBX you're in much better sharking territory. I've fished Assateague 3 times for sharks and have been skunked every time. However every time I've gone sharking in the OBX I've landed some sort of big game species (shark rays cobia).

If you want to plan a trip feel free to message me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Zack
            Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
            Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
            "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

Originally posted by sega View Post

I've fished Assateague 3 times for sharks and have been skunked every time.
              I need to start bringing you with me to Assateague then; I can't keep the sharks and rays off sometimes! Fall drum season out there can be the worst, or best I guess depending on your point of view. I rarely target sharks anymore, so I'm fishing a mono hook leader, and get bit off most of the time before I get them in. The rays will wear you out though. I've had back-to-back-to-back butterfly rays like in your picture. Brutal!

But like you said, 95% of the sharks caught on Assateague are either sandbar or sand tiger.
              Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
                I need to start bringing you with me to Assateague then; I can't keep the sharks and rays off sometimes! Fall drum season out there can be the worst, or best I guess depending on your point of view. I rarely target sharks anymore, so I'm fishing a mono hook leader, and get bit off most of the time before I get them in. The rays will wear you out though. I've had back-to-back-to-back butterfly rays like in your picture. Brutal!

But like you said, 95% of the sharks caught on Assateague are either sandbar or sand tiger.
                Let me know when you go!
                Zack
                Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

I generally try for sharks on the OBX as well, but I've been wanting to try the Norfolk area this year. There has got to be some monsters lurking around the mouth of the bay.
                  2015 Hobie Outback
                  2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

My advice would be to go further south.

Sharks can be caught at Assateague but for the most part all you're gonna catch is sandbars, and sand tigers, unless you're paddling baits out. Also the sandbars out at Assateague can be very weird and make for some tough fishing.

Also to note, shark fishing in Assateague really only heats up from July-August.

However, if you're willing to drive down to the OBX you're in much better sharking territory. I've fished Assateague 3 times for sharks and have been skunked every time. However every time I've gone sharking in the OBX I've landed some sort of big game species (shark rays cobia).

If you want to plan a trip feel free to message me.

Cobia you say? Might have to PM you for some info about this, that's a species that's on my bucket list, and certainly at the top of my brother's list.

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
                      Cobia you say? Might have to PM you for some info about this, that's a species that's on my bucket list, and certainly at the top of my brother's list.

This was actually a bycatch while we were sharking. A Snaggedline surf fishing trip in OBX would be sweet if we could get it organized

Zack
                      Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

That is a huge cobia! Yeah that'd def be fun, I've been going down there my whole life. My parents inherited a house in Avon from their parents, and I try to go down at least a couple times a year.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Comment

A Snaggedline surf fishing trip in OBX would be sweet if we could get it organized
                          Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
                          Yeah that'd def be fun, I've been going down there my whole life. My parents inherited a house in Avon...
                          Count me in if this gets organized. I just got back from Raleigh for a work trip, and headed down to Charlotte in 2 weeks, GF is Maid-Of-Honor in a wedding so i'm already picking up my licenses for inland and salt. More than willing to split costs or fees if anyone is willing to let friends into their family property. GF will probably come along as well, so 'all the girls' can shop while we fish

LMK
                          Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
                            Count me in if this gets organized. I just got back from Raleigh for a work trip, and headed down to Charlotte in 2 weeks, GF is Maid-Of-Honor in a wedding so i'm already picking up my licenses for inland and salt. More than willing to split costs or fees if anyone is willing to let friends into their family property. GF will probably come along as well, so 'all the girls' can shop while we fish

LMK
                            A trip down there would be really cool. Vacation time is going to be really hard to come by for me later this year though, I'm already taking like 3 weeks off between August and September. But maybe either a late fall trip or a spring trip next year would be really cool. We could do like a week, and split our time between kayak, surf, and deep sea fishing. I know a couple guys from work that have always wanted to do a tuna/mahi trip, so we could get like 2 houses, and just fish ourselves silly. Any suggestions on the time of year that might be best for kayak fishing, or deep sea fishing, from those with experience? I really can't comment on anything besides surf fishing, and my favorite time for that is late October and November. Though I have fished with a kayak charter before, and she would def be a great resource.

Comment

Working...
                            X