Mid Severn River 3/9/17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid Severn River 3/9/17

Took advantage of the lower winds and warm temps early this morning to try and get on some more bigger class fish.

I launched from one of my community beaches at around 6:15am to a nice 55° air temp and a slight breeze out of the west.

I get situated and deploy my lines. I'm running single 1oz bucktail jigs with paddletails on both rods. I immediately head down river from my launch towards little round bay in search of the monsters. I get to the end of long point and had no bites at all so I turn and head back up river. I met up with John Veil, EMSer, and red-yak all trolling for striped bass as well. I believe I heard John and EMSer both hooked up to some fish but I'll let them show off their catches. Right around the time I saw EMSer in the distance, I was trolling along a shoal edge when my drag starts singing. Man I love that sound!! I get the fish to the board and land it. Turns out to be a nice 24.5 incher After this fish I trolled for another hour with no more success. The wind was picking up and work was calling so I headed in.

It was nice to meet another Snaggedline member (EMSer) and hope anyone interested in some catch and release action, can get out there!!
    Last edited by supfisher01; 03-09-2017, 11:45 AM.

Normally I am unable to reach Steve's productive fishing grounds. This morning I had an invitation to launch from a private location 2 miles from there. At 7:30 it was glassy calm as I deployed 4 lines from my Slayer Propel 10. I quickly got a 21.5" while proceeding toward the fishing grounds. The other guys were catching fish -- it seemed like a banner day. Then things changed for the worse.

I was at the farthest spot from the launch (2.5 miles) when I lost my steering. I hoped it was a quick fix as I paddled toward a nearby beach. But I quickly realized that my steering cable had snapped in the middle. I raised the Propel drive and began paddling. The Slayer Propel 10 paddles reasonably well on calm water, but not in a stiff headwind. The wind picked up and often gusted to stronger levels. As I returned toward my launch point, I struggled to keep up 2 mph and occasionally dropped to near 1 mph as the wind gusted and blew into my face. Although I trolled 3 lines all the way back, I had no more bites.

It is not difficult to replace my steering cable, but I did not have a spare with me. After 2.5 years of usage, I don't have any hard feelings about the cable giving way. But I was disappointed to miss out on more catching today.

cable 2.jpg
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

John, sorry about your cable and I hope to fish with you again in the future.

Comment

John,

Sorry for the breakdown. Don't feel bad. The catching wasn't very strong. I only managed one fish - 26". I will admit, it felt great to get some reasonable pillage after a very slow winter!

I also struggled on the way back in slogging against the wind. Int only continued to build after your departure.

DSCN4461.jpgDSCN4459.jpg

Steve - it was great to finally meet you. I hope to share the water again sometime!
        Bruce

Hobie PA 14
        Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Nice fish!

Great to meet you as well and I'm sure we'll see each other again!

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
            Normally I am unable to reach Steve's productive fishing grounds. This morning I had an invitation to launch from a private location 2 miles from there. At 7:30 it was glassy calm as I deployed 4 lines from my Slayer Propel 10. I quickly got a 21.5" while proceeding toward the fishing grounds. The other guys were catching fish -- it seemed like a banner day. Then things changed for the worse.

I was at the farthest spot from the launch (2.5 miles) when I lost my steering. I hoped it was a quick fix as I paddled toward a nearby beach. But I quickly realized that my steering cable had snapped in the middle. I raised the Propel drive and began paddling. The Slayer Propel 10 paddles reasonably well on calm water, but not in a stiff headwind. The wind picked up and often gusted to stronger levels. As I returned toward my launch point, I struggled to keep up 2 mph and occasionally dropped to near 1 mph as the wind gusted and blew into my face. Although I trolled 3 lines all the way back, I had no more bites.

It is not difficult to replace my steering cable, but I did not have a spare with me. After 2.5 years of usage, I don't have any hard feelings about the cable giving way. But I was disappointed to miss out on more catching today.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21025[/ATTACH]
            J.A. I have had the same thing happen to me with the Propel rudder cable snapping. A trick I used to get back in was I got the rudder straight as possible then tightened the rudder screw nice and snug so the rudder would barely move, but not so tight that it would strip out the screw. This allowed the Propel to track straight enough I could pedal back in using the paddle to steer. Granted it was optimal by any means, it allowed me to cover the couple miles back to the ramp in short time.
            Mike

2015 Hidden Oak Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Thanks to Steve for showing us around his neighborhood. How you manage to land fish while being dragged around on that narrow 10' board is beyond me? You may be recruited by the Flying Walenda family!
              Tight lines
              ST

Comment

Originally posted by scott taylor View Post
                Thanks to Steve for showing us around his neighborhood. How you manage to land fish while being dragged around on that narrow 10' board is beyond me? You may be recruited by the Flying Walenda family!
                Tight lines
                ST
                It is my pleasure, Scott. I'm just happy that other people can enjoy what the river has to offer.... especially the great group of fishermen here at Snaggedline!

Comment

Working...
                X