Are cast nets worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are cast nets worth it?

I don't fish with natural bait often, but I was considering it this year. Some articles reflect that natural bait from the habitat are best. Is it worth investing the money and time to get a net as opposed to just buying it wherever I'm going. Its probably just personal preference but there is probably a time investment learning to cast off a kayak without flipping it. Can always cast for bait before launch but I'm usually just aching to get out on the water.
    Hobie Revo 13 (w/ graffiti removed)
    Ocean Kayak Trident 13

I have cast net that I use from shore in OC , but I've never thought to try to throw while on the kayak. I don't think I could get enough rotation to really get it open. I guess you could try a small diameter net, but I find they are harder to get to open up. I have always used artificials in the bay here though.

Comment

I'm interested. I fish OC & would prefer live bait.
      Red 2015 Hobie Outback
      Olive 2015 PA 14

Comment

What type of bait do you plan on using/catching in the cast net?

Hobie Fishing Team Member
        Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
        2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
          What type of bait do you plan on using/catching in the cast net?
          Minnows if perch season, or whatever the hatch is if I'm in a different area.
          Hobie Revo 13 (w/ graffiti removed)
          Ocean Kayak Trident 13

Comment

I used to use a 6ft cast net to catch baits when pier fishing. I picked up a 3ft to use in the kayak, but honestly it's just more stuff to carry so I always leave it at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Desert Camo- Moken 14
            Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

I have a cast net and use it all the time. It's almost always in a bucket in my vehicle. I catch bait for surf fishing or for chunk fishing off the kayak. By catching my own bait (as much as possible), I've easily saved way more money then I ever invested in the net. That said - I've never thrown it from the kayak if that's your intention. I'll kayak to places, get out and net bait. I'll net bait off the side of the road on the way to a fishing spot, off the beach, or at a launch/dock if it's there. I find it's easier to invest a little time prior to the trip to get the bait. I'm mostly after mullet, spot, adult bunker (if available), mud shad, crabs, etc.

A smaller sized net say 4' isn't hard to throw, or doesn't require a lot of rotation to open the net, and might work good for a kayak. Anything larger might be difficult. You'd want a fairly uncluttered kayak deck too. A snag hook would probably be an easier method while on the water.

Word of warning - don't invest a lot in the net until you know what your doing as you are bound to snag rocks, oysters, and general crap on the bottom that will shred a net in no time if you aren't careful.
              Brian

Comment

Like everyone so far, I have a cast net that I use from shore but haven't thrown it from my yak.

Comment

Originally posted by 22Tango View Post
                  Minnows if perch season, or whatever the hatch is if I'm in a different area.
                  Like Brian (SlobberBob) said, he uses his quite a bit. He has saved me from having zero bait before with the things he has netted on his way to the fishing spot, so its def. worth having one around. If I am catching minnows for bait, I'll use a minnow trap filled with cat food, old cut bait, etc. That seems to be easier for me. But truthfully, if I am going past a tackle shop, I'll buy minnows because they are usually very inexpensive. But if they are out, it pays to have a net available.

The other thing that I keep handy at all times is baggy filled with fish bite blood worms, small bait hooks, and a couple of sinkers. When we use live or cut bait for cobia, red drum, flounder, etc (especially in the fall), it is very easy to catch your own bait. Many times, the bait fish are in deeper water, on the bottom where a cast net isn't effective.

Nonetheless, its a good idea to have multiple options available to you. If you have the space to bring it along or at the very least to keep it in your vehicle, it'll eventually pay for itself.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                  Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                  2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I don't prefer live bait, but it's better than getting skunked on the water. I usually keep my cast net handy for days when the bite might be tough. Some of my biggest catches have been on a hooked shad--seems everything eats them.

That said, a cast net isn't something you just pick up and use. It takes some experience to recognize bait on your FF, and a fair amount of practice and coordination to cast correctly. And when you cast from the top of a kayak you should expect to get wet at least once. On some days you'll have as much fun trying to chase down bait with a cast net as you will fishing.
                    I need a good paddling

Motorized 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                    Garmin Echomap 93sv
                    RIP, favorite St. Croix Rod

Comment

Working...
                    X