Berkley Pro transducer mount for Hummingbird side imaging for Hobies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Berkley Pro transducer mount for Hummingbird side imaging for Hobies

I modified my Lowrance ready transducer mount on my 2016 Outback to mount my Hummingbird 798CI-DI DSI Combo transducer...it works pretty well, but the side scans are not great...so along comes a drop-in, after-market, made exclusively to fit the side scan Hummingbird transducers in the Hobie Lowrance ready mounts...a little pricey at $59.00 but it advertises to give you the best pictures the unit is capable of...so mine is shipped and should arrive by next Tuesday...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Berley Pro has made several high quality accessories for kayaks. I recently purchased a new rudder for my Native Slayer Propel 10 from them. I definitely experienced sticker shock when I made the purchase, but after using it twice on the water, including in rough water yesterday, it is worth the money. I hope your transducer mount meets your expectations too.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I ordered the same from Mariner-Sails, shipping confirmation received today, excited to get this mounted. I like the peace-of-mind of the extra protection on/under/around the transducer when unloading from my pickup, and launching from anything other than a soft sandy beach.
      Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Yes indeed! The same place I ordered mine from- They are very fast filling the order and getting it out the door- Mine is scheduled for delivery sometime tomorrow...looking forward to those clear side scans...

Comment

Just finished installing the Berkley Pro transducer cover- it is a pretty simple swap- uses two abs plastic clamps that secures the transducer up against the top of the dome cover so that the side scan portion of the transducer is above the hull...the cover looks sturdy enough to be a good long term solution...and since I use a scupper cart to launch and retrieve it should never be an issue

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
            Just finished installing the Berkley Pro transducer cover- it is a pretty simple swap- uses two abs plastic clamps that secures the transducer up against the top of the dome cover so that the side scan portion of the transducer is above the hull...the cover looks sturdy enough to be a good long term solution...and since I use a scupper cart to launch and retrieve it should never be an issue
            Ron,

Now that you've had this a few months, I was wondering what your thoughts were on the Hummingbird side scan capability and the Berley Pro accessory.
            -manny

Hobie Outback
            Wilderness Systems 130T
            Hobie Outfitter

Comment

2 Maryland citation spotted sea trout...25 inch Redfish...30 inch Striper...proof of the pudding is in the eating...

The side imaging feature is great...but not for casual users...it is not really “user friendly” in that you turn it on and it does everything for you...tweaking the settings allows you to really get the most out of the unit...I have mine set on 50 foot each side and at 2 mph speed to get max details...adjusting to bottom type is critical...soft bottom requires stronger settings than a hard bottom...it requires study and experimenting...you just can’t set it and forget it if you want to get the most information out of it...it doesn’t tell you what kind of fish, but clearly shows where the fish are and much more importantly, it shows the contour of the bottom- depressions/dimples in the bottom holds fish where a flat sandy bottom doesn’t...and the Berley Pro cover is worth the money...
              Last edited by ronaultmtd; 10-14-2017, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                2 Maryland citation spotted sea trout...25 inch Redfish...30 inch Striper...proof of the pudding is in the eating...

The side imaging feature is great...but not for casual users...it is not really “user friendly” in that you turn it on and it does everything for you...tweaking the settings allows you to really get the most out of the unit...I have mine set on 50 foot each side and at 2 mph speed to get max details...adjusting to bottom type is critical...soft bottom requires stronger settings than a hard bottom...it requires study and experimenting...you just can’t set it and forget it if you want to get the most information out of it...it doesn’t tell you what kind of fish, but clearly shows where the fish are and much more importantly, it shows the contour of the bottom- depressions/dimples in the bottom holds fish where a flat sandy bottom doesn’t...and the Berley Pro cover is worth the money...
                Can't argue with those results!

And thanks for the tips about tweaking the display settings - I hadn't thought about that. I'm seriously considering making the switch to a side-scan but was concerned about mounting the transducer on the bottom of an Outback where it wouldn't be flush with the keel like it is on a PA. Glad to hear you haven't had any issues.

I appreciate the response.
                -manny

Hobie Outback
                Wilderness Systems 130T
                Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Anytime- fish finders are very helpful tools for kayak fishermen, as are good quality rods and reels, lines and knots...but they won’t catch fish...you do...nothing substitutes for time on the water

Comment

Working...
                  X