Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS vs Chartplotter

Hi all,
    I am considering taking advantage of the West Marine sale going on now and getting a new FF. Some models are makred as ChartPlotters and some are marked as GPS... I know what each is individually (GPS being just the technology to triangulate your position based on sattalites, while ChartPlotters put your position on a map).

My question is.. both seem to do the same thing.. the GPS puts your position on a map, so does the chartplotter. When it comes to our Yaks, is there any functional difference?

From the Garmin ad for a 7DV"More importantly, they allow you to mark spots where the fish are biting so you can return to them again in the future. You also can mark docks, boat ramps and other locations. Just follow the path created on your screen to return to them whenever you wish. Although not chartplotters, Strikerâ„¢ fishfinders are more than capable with their GPS functions."

From the Garmin ad for 7DV with Chartplotter "Includes BlueChart® g2 charts for the coastal U.S.
    Preloaded Quickdraw Contours custom HD map creation software" "echoMAP 74dv is preloaded with BlueChart g2 maps covering the coastal U.S. (East Coast, West Coast, Gulf of Mexico, U.S. and Canadian sides of the Great Lakes). It also includes all U.S. charts for the entire coastline as well as everything available on NOAA charts. In addition to the basic charts, tidal stations, currents, depth contours, IALA symbols and included fishing charts, BlueChart g2 offers smooth transitioning between zoom levels and more seamless continuity across chart boundaries. Customize your screens with Shallow Water Shading, which allows you to contour shade for all depth contours shallower than what you determine is your safe depth."

As far as I can tell they both have maps but one has a more detailed map??? is that useful to us as kayak fisher folks? The difference in price is close to $200 between the two.
    People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

chartplotter will actually create a map of the locations you cover that can be uploaded to a computer and saved to the FF itself for later use. there is a record sonar option on them
    Originally posted by Pat Smith View Post
    Hi all,
    I am considering taking advantage of the West Marine sale going on now and getting a new FF. Some models are makred as ChartPlotters and some are marked as GPS... I know what each is individually (GPS being just the technology to triangulate your position based on sattalites, while ChartPlotters put your position on a map).

My question is.. both seem to do the same thing.. the GPS puts your position on a map, so does the chartplotter. When it comes to our Yaks, is there any functional difference?

From the Garmin ad for a 7DV"More importantly, they allow you to mark spots where the fish are biting so you can return to them again in the future. You also can mark docks, boat ramps and other locations. Just follow the path created on your screen to return to them whenever you wish. Although not chartplotters, Striker™ fishfinders are more than capable with their GPS functions."

From the Garmin ad for 7DV with Chartplotter "Includes BlueChart® g2 charts for the coastal U.S.
    Preloaded Quickdraw Contours custom HD map creation software" "echoMAP 74dv is preloaded with BlueChart g2 maps covering the coastal U.S. (East Coast, West Coast, Gulf of Mexico, U.S. and Canadian sides of the Great Lakes). It also includes all U.S. charts for the entire coastline as well as everything available on NOAA charts. In addition to the basic charts, tidal stations, currents, depth contours, IALA symbols and included fishing charts, BlueChart g2 offers smooth transitioning between zoom levels and more seamless continuity across chart boundaries. Customize your screens with Shallow Water Shading, which allows you to contour shade for all depth contours shallower than what you determine is your safe depth."

As far as I can tell they both have maps but one has a more detailed map??? is that useful to us as kayak fisher folks? The difference in price is close to $200 between the two.
    2016 Hobie Mirage Outback Olive
    LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

AFAIK... the major differences between the Striker and the echomap is the striker version has basic gps, waypoint marking, route and tracking with no SD card, while the echomap verison includes better detailed maps, SD card and mapping = sonar/depth charts, which to me can be very useful for fishing.

Originally posted by suicyderider View Post
      chartplotter will actually create a map of the locations you cover that can be uploaded to a computer and saved to the FF itself for later use. there is a record sonar option on them
      Not all chartplotters have this capability as some do not include SD card slots to be able to upload the maps. One of the things I love about the Lowrance units I've used with SD card ability is the Gofree chart planner, Insight maps and Navionics maps. With the Insight Planner I can either use my Insight or Navionics maps go to any region in the US, study bathymetric charts updated by other users in that area, then pre plan my routes and waypoints from my launch site to areas I have predetermined may be potential starting points for my fishing trip. Then record any data I have acquired during my fishing trip saving it for another time and/or use the Insight map and Navionics map sites to update any user added information included different than mine since the last time I visited.
      Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 03-07-2017, 08:43 AM.

Comment

well said!! love my lowrance
        \
        Originally posted by Oldbayrunner View Post
        AFAIK... the major differences between the Striker and the echomap is the striker version has basic gps, waypoint marking, route and tracking with no SD card, while the echomap verison includes better detailed maps, SD card and mapping = sonar/depth charts, which to me can be very useful for fishing.

Not all chartplotters have this capability as some do not include SD card slots to be able to upload the maps. One of the things I love about the Lowrance units I've used with SD card ability is the Gofree chart planner, Insight maps and Navionics maps. With the Insight Planner I can either use my Insight or Navionics maps go to any region in the US, study bathymetric charts updated by other users in that area, then pre plan my routes and waypoints from my launch site to areas I have predetermined may be potential starting points for my fishing trip. Then record any data I have acquired during my fishing trip saving it for another time and/or use the Insight map and Navionics map sites to update any user added information included different than mine since the last time I visited.
        2016 Hobie Mirage Outback Olive
        LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

Working...
        X