Mid Severn River 3/4/17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid Severn River 3/4/17

Sorry this isn't a report from a paddling vessel but I'm sure some of you won't mind a Severn report either way.

Got out early to cast a few lures from one of my community beaches this morning to a very cold 23° air temp and the lowest of low tide. I was going to take the SUP out trolling if I didn't catch anything in the first 20 minutes.

Well, I ended up staying to catch over 20 fish, of good size, with the largest being just over 26 inches.

I was casting a 1oz chartreuse bucktail jig with a 6 inch white paddletail and retrieving very slowly, just enough to keep it from dragging the bottom. If you're into catch and releasing stripers then get out there!

I was also able to say hello to a lamprey eel that was tagging along with one of the 23 inchers
    Here are a few more pictures. After these I got tired of taking them plus my hands were getting cold from having to keep taking my gloves off.

Awesome and fun time but I really hope this isn't foreshadowing how the migration cows are going to act with an early entrance and an early exit. I guess we'll find out soon enough. Enjoy!
    Last edited by supfisher01; 03-06-2017, 11:14 PM.

Nice! That lamprey has some mean looking suckers.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

That's awesome!
      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
        Nice! That lamprey has some mean looking suckers.
        Thanks and Yes it does!

Comment

Didn't think Lamprey were around here, guess I am wrong. Great on the Stripers, need to try the lower Severn soon once the winds die down.
          John Rentch
          Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
          Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Nice catch,!! How deep was the water?
            Bruce

Hobie PA 14
            Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Great report Steve. Those are some excellent Severn fish, especially in early March. I have never had a lamprey come along with a striper -- that is a cool catch.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by EMSer View Post
                Nice catch,!! How deep was the water?
                Thanks! Water depth was 10ft-15ft but the tide was out the most I've seen it in a while so you can take 4ft-5ft off of those numbers.

Comment

Thanks all! Hope some of you can take advantage of some c+r soon.

Comment

Great report, but:
                    I hate to crap on your parade, but as I understand it (and I could be wrong) fishing for Stipers after March 1, in the spawning rivers is off limits, i.e. closed season.
                    It is catch and release on the Bay, but no fishing in the rivers and designated Upper Bay areas, until June 1.

Comment

Areas Closed to Fishing—February, March and April:
                      1. Magothy River from Lake Waterford dam downstream for 3,300 feet.
                      2. Severn River and Severn Run from the Route 3 Bridge downstream for 2,400 feet.

Spring Catch & Release Season

March 1–April 14
                      Chesapeake Bay from the Brewerton Channel to the Virginia line including Tangier and Pocomoke Sounds. No harvest •Stinger (trailing) hooks are prohibited.
                      •Barbless hooks are required when trolling.
                      •Non-offset circle hooks or
                      J hooks with a gap of less than ½ inch are required when using natural bait.
                      •No more than 6 lines may be employed while trolling regardless of the number of anglers on board.
                      •These restrictions apply in all open catch and release areas from March 1 until 5:00 a.m., April 15
                      •Spawning rivers and the Upper Bay spawning area are off limits until June 1 to striped bass fishing.
                      •Eels may not be used as bait.
                      •See maps at: http://dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/pa...bass-maps.aspx

Originally posted by bignose View Post
                      Great report, but:
                      I hate to crap on your parade, but as I understand it (and I could be wrong) fishing for Stipers after March 1, in the spawning rivers is off limits, i.e. closed season.
                      It is catch and release on the Bay, but no fishing in the rivers and designated Upper Bay areas, until June 1.
                      2016 Hobie Mirage Outback Olive
                      LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

http://dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/Pages/map2.aspx
                        2016 Hobie Mirage Outback Olive
                        LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

My bad!
                          Apparently the Severn is opened to C & R.
                          Apologies!

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post
                            My bad!
                            Apparently the Severn is opened to C & R.
                            Apologies!
                            The actual regulations are hard to follow. As a result DNR made a series of maps to delineate areas where C&R fishing is allowed during different periods. I clarified that point with a DNR Fisheries staff member a few years ago -- she said to follow the maps.

All the western shore rivers (other than the Patuxent, which is off limits for striper fishing) up to the Bush River are in C&R status for the next few months (until June 1).

One of the other posters noted that the very upstream section of the Severn is off limits to any type of fishing, stripers or otherwise in Feb, March, and April. The downstream end of the no-fish zone is just above Indian Landing where the water is extremely shallow. Shoreline spots there are posted. Based on my own map analysis, the no-fish boundary should be farther upstream than the spots where the no fishing signs are located. That is a small battle and not worth my efforts at this point.
                            John Veil
                            Annapolis
                            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I definitely checked the maps before targeting.

Comment

Working...
                              X