Yak trolling rod & reel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
    It's true you can catch a fish on a hand-line, but it's also true that your fishing productivity is only as good as your gear. I've blown through (4) inexpensive reels before spending the money on a Penn Battle II 4000 saltwater series, and it has been worth its weight 10x over I've also picked up higher end lightly used gear including rods and reels, for a pretty significant discount, all of which still work flawlessly even thought they have some scratches and dings.
    For stripers I usually troll, it's fish on or not and I really don't see how a more expensive reel or rod would increase productivity. Casting can be a different matter and rod feel and action can play a major part in hooking a fish but my fairly moderately priced gear does the trick there also and I can't imagine any gains in productivity in that scenario. For most fisherman buying a book for a couple bucks or learning some new techniques would greatly improve productivity much more than a gear upgrade.

Comment

Before you purchase any reel, I suggest consulting alanhawk.com and contacting him through that site about what you're looking for, what you're fishing for, and your budget. He is hands down the ultimate expert, so much so that he doesn't give out his real name, and his reviews steer the entire industry. I bought my new daiwa BG based on his review, but like he says, we really are in the golden age of spinning reels at least. From 100-300 we have some many options at our disposal, it all depends on what size you want, your budget, and the amount of sealing you'd like.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Comment

Easy Photographers

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
        Before you purchase any reel, I suggest consulting alanhawk.com and contacting him through that site about what you're looking for, what you're fishing for, and your budget. He is hands down the ultimate expert, so much so that he doesn't give out his real name, and his reviews steer the entire industry. I bought my new daiwa BG based on his review, but like he says, we really are in the golden age of spinning reels at least. From 100-300 we have some many options at our disposal, it all depends on what size you want, your budget, and the amount of sealing you'd like.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
        I sincerely appreciate all of the feedback, i have ordered John's book and am excited to read it. I also purchased a Penn rod/reel combo at Bass Pro S. today BA II, 4000 series reel for $129, with braid 40#, (out of 30#) totaling $165. Thanks again. Enjoy the fishing!

Comment

I landed my PB 26" striper last summer with that exact combo.

Also, John will autograph your book if you meet up with him at a M&G or Event
          Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
            I landed my PB 26" striper last summer with that exact combo.

Also, John will autograph your book if you meet up with him at a M&G or Event
            Michael - Thanks for taking on the role as my new literary agent. I plan to show up by late morning at the meet and greet on Sunday. Depending on wind speed, wind direction*, and air temp, I may or may not launch. But I would be delighted to sign books or sell a copy. I will also bring along the two G. Loomis spinning rods that I offered for sale in the Tackle Shop Forum in case anyone wants to see them or make an offer.

* The section of the river where Steve has his launch is relatively narrow, and the shoreline has tall wooded banks. Even under strong winds, if the wind direction comes perpendicular to the river axis, the water may still be fishable.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
              Michael - Thanks for taking on the role as my new literary agent. I plan to show up by late morning at the meet and greet on Sunday. Depending on wind speed, wind direction*, and air temp, I may or may not launch. But I would be delighted to sign books or sell a copy. I will also bring along the two G. Loomis spinning rods that I offered for sale in the Tackle Shop Forum in case anyone wants to see them or make an offer.

* The section of the river where Steve has his launch is relatively narrow, and the shoreline has tall wooded banks. Even under strong winds, if the wind direction comes perpendicular to the river axis, the water may still be fishable.
              Really enjoying your book John Veil, thank you for writing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmyz View Post
                Really enjoying your book John Veil, thank you for writing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Thanks for the good review. I'm glad it is helpful.
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Like the others have said, a trolling rod only has to have a few good characteristics, but they don't have to be super expensive. For the Chesapeake Rigs that I make, I have 3, maybe 4 Cabela's Depthmaster combos. I think they're only like $70 when they go on sale and they have a reel counter, so you know exactly how much line you have out.

For typical plugs, a 6'9 or longer rod in the med to med heavy range will do you well. If you just want to catch a fish, most anything will be fine since you're just dragging a lure through the water. There are some finer points, but for the most part you should save your money for a jigging rod. Those do make a big difference.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                  Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                  Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                  Kokatat Pro Staff
                  Torqeedo Pro Staff
                  Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                  Alan

Comment

Working...
                  X