Recommendation for Kayak Vendors around MD/VA/DE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendation for Kayak Vendors around MD/VA/DE

Doing my due diligence for reputable vendors with competitive price and good service, I have two stores so far. Am I missing any other kayak vendors locally? I would like to support "local" stores, definition of "local" being within 2.5 hour drive.

Anyone have any personal experiences? I'm wondering what demo day discounts can be had. Depending on the discounts, I might wait to purchase.

1. Appomattax River Company (Farmville, VA or Ashland, VA)
    - Demo day in June
    - 10% of accessories with kayak purchase
    - Very large inventory in the Farmville location
    - VA state tax

2. Delaware Paddlesports (Lewes, DE)
    - Demo day in April
    - 100 dollar credit per kayak purchase
    - No state tax
    - Boonedox dealer
    2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Backyard Boats (I purchased my Revo there. Excellent price and service.)
    222 Severn Avenue
    Annapolis, Maryland 21403
    http://www.backyardboats.com/

Annapolis Canoe and Kayak
    311 Third Street, Annapolis, MD 21403
    http://www.annapoliscanoeandkayak.com/

You already mentioned DPS. I purchased my Ultimate there. Again, good price and service.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

What kayak are you looking to buy?

Here is the local Vibe Dealer, and I must add that the Vibe SeaGhost 130 is probably the best value on the market right now (kayak, high low seat, rudder, and paddle for $899).

Oaktree Outfitters
      4934 George Washington Memorial Highway
      Hayes VA 23072

http://www.oaktreeoutfitters.net/

ask for: Travis Jenkins

http://vibekayaks.com/products/vibe-...nt=15687073734

Comment

DPS! Great people and service. I always had great experience with them.

Comment

DPS is a 2 hour drive from Harford County. They are my home paddle store. Thier team is awesome and the store is so packed with yaks and gear, ya need to take some time to check it all out.
          Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
          Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Easton cycle and sport is pretty good. I bought my boat from back yard boats in Annapolis and had a great experience

Comment

Another for DPS. They are almost 3 hours away for me and it was worth the drive.
              2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

CD Outdoors
                Chris Dollar
                1751 Perry Corner Road
                Queenstown, MD 21658
                410-991-8468

I personally have bought two kayaks from Chris and got some great deals and service.
                John Rentch
                Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Hmmm.. seems to me everyone is overlooking one of the oldest kayak dealers (28 years) in the area Starrk-Moon Kayaks in Delta, PA. Brad is one of the most reputable, fair and knowledge dealers I've run across but of course he doesn't carry Hobie, Native, Wilderness, Jackson, Vibe, Oldtown, Ocean. He does however carry Feel Free fishing yaks, as well as host of popular accessories and he does have demos. http://www.starrkmoon.com/kayaks.asp

Comment

Valley Mill Boats in Germantown MD is a Jackson Dealer if you are interested in them.

I have purchased products from both Appomattox and DPS, they are both great shops! DPS currently is a headline sponsor for the MAKBF series and those guys are an awesome group of guys and very knowledgeable about the industry. They have the earliest demo day that I know of coming up on 4/22. Based on past experience Appomattox typically gives a 10% discount on demo day. I have not been to one of the DPS demo days so I am not sure if they give discounts or not. You could hit up any of the guys over there and they will be able to tell you.
                    WS ATAK

Comment

Don't forget about Survival Products in Salisbury MD!

410-543-1244

Joe and Rick are great to deal with and haven been selling kayaks for 35 years. It's closer than driving to the beach. They sell all the major brands such as Hobie and Wilderness (they do not sell Native). Although they are in MD, the retail price of the boat will be adjusted to negate the sales tax. They will also price match any price you receive from another dealer. They have moved away from a demo day, but if you would like a private demo, the price of the demo is taken off of your kayak purchase. Demo's typically run somewhere around $75. Rick is also good about throwing in a free accessory or two when you purchase.

If you are not looking to spend the large upfront cost all at once, they also offer financing. I explained it last year in a post that can be found HERE.

They have recently taken shipment on their new 2017 kayaks and are offering great deals on remaining 2016 kayaks! You will need to call to see if they have a 2016 model of the boat you are looking for, but I cant imagine they do not have something to fit your need.

Ill also add that I don't receive anything from you buying from them. Although they are my sponsoring dealer, I recommend them because they are genuinely a good bunch of guys. If you decide to pay them a visit, send me a PM and maybe I can join you on your demo if I am free. There is excellent pickerel fishing in the body of water where the demo occur!
                      Last edited by RavensDfense; 03-01-2017, 08:33 AM. Reason: spelling

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                      Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

+1 On Backyard Boats Annapolis. Remember when choosing your vendor warranty issues and needed parts or accessories. NO tax is great, but driving two hours to "Your" dealer might be a bit much. The only way local dealers can make it, is by local people supporting them thru sales and service. It's one thing to buy a kayak at another dealer, and then want the local dealer to work on it or service it.

Yak67
                        2016 Hobie Outback LE
                        2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo

Comment

Depends on which manufacturer of kayaks you are leaning to...as you can see from the posts there are a number of good reputable local dealers- just remember if you have a problem with any defect (and it sometimes happens to the best of them) your local dealer will make it right...
                          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

+1 on Survival Products. I have purchased four kayaks from them going back over 25 years. Their style of advice during the purchase has always been to guide me to the best boat for my needs, with no pressure of an up sell. Their service after the sale has to be rated a 10 out of 10. So may times I have been offered a loaner or been greeted with "no charge" as I am pulling out my wallet. I really don't know how a customer could be treated any better

Comment

Thank you everyone for their inputs. I seem to have overlooked many dealers that are closer.

I will be sending emails to the dealers to see what they can provide. I'm set on getting two Native Slayer Propels (10 and 13).
                              2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Working...
                              X