Horizon HX150 rebate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horizon HX150 rebate

So the GPS store has the Horizon HX150 for $79.95,,PLUS,, a $20 mail in rebate. That makes it about $60 plus $7 for shipping. Here's a link, https://www.thegpsstore.com/Standard...dio-P3493.aspx

From what I gather this is what most Snaggedline members use. So is this a good deal and radio??
    2017 Hobie PA14

I use the Standard Horizon HX290 which is a slight upgrade from the HX150 in features. I've been very happy with it, although in the 1 watt mode you will get blocked from communicating with others if they are around a corner with land between you and them (at least my experience). Given that I haven't used any of the upgrade features I could have saved the $30. Yes, that's a good price.
    Now if I could just learn to use the radio and not sound like Smokey and the Bandit that would be the biggest upgrade.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

I've got the hx150 and its great. Very clear, and more than loud enough for a kayak. I usually keep it on volume 1 and turn it up only to 2 if things aren't quite clear. That's a good price.

Comment

I have a Standard Horizon radio and I have been very pleased with it. My only annoyance is that with my model the beacon automatically lights if it gets wet. I counter that by keeping it attached to my PFD where it is less likely to get splashed.

Most of us get VHF radios for the stated purpose of safety and they are indeed good for that. But they also are great fish finders. Whether it's your on-the-water buddy calling you to say that he's into fish or the cryptic transmissions of charter boat captains, a VHF radio can greatly enhance your catching.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Great radio, great price; no frills, it just works. I have one and have never felt wanting for lack of the upgraded features of some other higher-end models.

TIP: Recommend you attach any personal VHF radio to your PFD vs. having the radio just lying beside you in the kayak's gunwale. Why? If you end up in the water, I will bet good money it will come unexpectedly and suddenly. Besides the shock and surprise factor, you now have all your gear floating around you (hopefully); stuff like tackle boxes, fishing rods/reels (I'm assuming you will have rods with rod floats), sunglasses, hat, water bottle etc... it will be a regular yard sale - the last thing you want to do is wonder where your radio went. Besides the added luxury of being able to talk to fellow anglers when fishing, never forget a waterproof radio like this one is a safety feature you will want on your person if you ever need to get other people's attention in an emergency (like floating around in cold water).

I hope this helps.
          -manny

Hobie Outback
          Wilderness Systems 130T
          Hobie Outfitter

Comment

These are $129 each retail, and $99 (currently on-sale) at BPS. I just picked up two from The GPS Store at $159 with free S&H, and with rebate drops down to $119 for TWO.

This is a killer deal for a no frills VHF that WORKS - Don't risk your life when others/USCG is only "channel 68 away"

- McH
            Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Working...
            X