Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restoring lures

Default Restoring lures

I worked Saturday at Bass Pro at our exhibit and got some great ideas from Harry about making trailer replacement hooks...that got me out in my shop with all my old rusty hook lures...taking all the hooks off, cleaning the lures with warm soapy water and a medium used toothbrush...so after all the cleaning and replacing rusty split rings...I ordered Owner in-line single replacement hooks...6 packages of hooks are supposed to be delivered March 2nd...and the rear replacement hook will be fully "dressed" thanks to Harry showing me how and selling me the materials to dress the hooks...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Outback
    "Ugly Duckling" 2010 Olive Hobie Outback
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13

Ron,

I can't believe how simple the 'dressing' really is, with the tip & trick from Harry

I'll be upgrading a few poppers I picked up at the Earliegh Heights flea market.
    First Lady: Hobie Ivory Sand Dune ProAngler 14
    Lowrance Elite 7 ti & Lowrance Hook 9
    Minn Kota Endura C2 30lb Trolling Pro

Backup Babe: Sand/Dune Equinox Future Beach Angler 12
    Lownce Elite 5 HDI & Kerrow composite paddle

Learning the Ropes & Living the Dream

If you're really ambitious you can put new hair on old bucktails.

These are a few a I retied for a friend:

A.JPG B.JPG C.jpg D.jpg

I didn't repaint the heads on these. I have done so on others. But I cut the remnants of the old bucktail off, sharpened the hooks and tied new bucktail on them. They had a lot more fish left in them.
    Mark

Olive Hobie Revo 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

When you figure new Rapala XRaps run about $10-14 depending on the size, refurbishing the ones you have is just smart...I rarely actually lose lures- they get beat up, hooks rust, split rings need replacing, but out right losing lures is very rare for me...and I have had phenomal success landing fish hooked on the single replacement hooks vs treble hooks- now a days, first thing I do with brand new lures is replace the trebles...and Harry's trick to dress the rear hook is so simple, fool proof and easy to do...I had to order the replacement single hooks because the only size that Bass Pro carries are for the XR14 and XR12 size XRaps- 5/0 and 2/0 size hooks...I also needed single hooks for my XR 10 XRaps...I ordered #2 and 1/0 Owner replacement single hooks for the XR10 and XR8 XRaps...
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 03-03-2017 at 06:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ronaultmtd View Post
    When you figure new Rapala XRaps run about $10-14 depending on the size, refurbishing the ones you have is just smart..
    I just busted off the lip of my one and only X-Rap the other day trying to pitch it into a tight squeeze around some hard structure. I'm so mad I'm going to have to shell out $10+ now for a frickin' 3 inch lure

Quote Originally Posted by Slobber Bob View Post
    I just busted off the lip of my one and only X-Rap the other day trying to pitch it into a tight squeeze around some hard structure. I'm so mad I'm going to have to shell out $10+ now for a frickin' 3 inch lure
    If the lip break has not compromised the lure's ability to remain watertight, you may be able to continue to use it as a suspended bait giving it action during casting with your rod tip.
    Mark

Olive Hobie Revo 13

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If the lip break has not compromised the lure's ability to remain watertight, you may be able to continue to use it as a suspended bait giving it action during casting with your rod tip.
    Oh, don't worry, I gave it the old college try, but it just didn't swim as good no matter how I worked it after the lip broke off. Maybe one day I'll pull it out and try again.... or not.

Oh, don't worry, I gave it the old college try, but it just didn't swim as good no matter how I worked it after the lip broke off. Maybe one day I'll pull it out and try again.... or not.
    Ha ha...Then save it for breaking stripers. They'll hit anything. Better yet, save it for when blues are schooling. They'll hit it and won't be able to bite it in half! Or like you suggest, put it in the recycling bin so it can become a milk jug or whatever the recyclers make with all that plastic we put in the big yellow bins.
    Mark

Olive Hobie Revo 13

Available on Amazon.com

Grab a dremel tool and go to work.

Part of the reason I started tying flies was to do buck tail jigs and single hooks for hard baits too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just finished my work cleaning, replacing split rings and hooks on the XR12, XR10 and XR8 XRaps...ready to fish them..