Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Restoring lures

Quote Originally Posted by ronaultmtd View Post
    Just finished my work cleaning, replacing split rings and hooks on the XR12, XR10 and XR8 XRaps...ready to fish them..
    My xraps have a big of dressing on the rear treble. Did you replace the dressing or just strap on the new hook? If you replaced it, where to you buy the dressing and how did you attach it to the hook.
    Hobie Revo 13 (w/ graffiti removed)
    Ocean Kayak Trident 13

See Harry at Bass Pro Shop fly shop at Arundel Mills...got the dressing materials and a really quick and easy way to dress the single replacement hook...I swear anyone can do it like an expert after seeing this trick...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Outback
    "Ugly Duckling" 2010 Olive Hobie Outback
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13

Quote Originally Posted by ronaultmtd View Post
    See Harry at Bass Pro Shop fly shop at Arundel Mills...got the dressing materials and a really quick and easy way to dress the single replacement hook...I swear anyone can do it like an expert after seeing this trick...
    Ron is correct. Harry has a method of dressing hooks that requires no tying skills. It uses a small rubber collar to affix material to a hook. Exceedingly simple. On the other hand it is not difficult to add feathers or hair to a hook with thread. Here's an X-Rap with the trebles changed to single in-line hooks:

B.jpg

I tied marabou feathers to the back hook. The fish do not care how pretty the wrap is. In fact, I cannot attest that the feathers are necessary. For years, Rebel and Rapala and Bill Lewis have made similar minnow/fish-like lures with bare treble hooks front and back.

Like most lures and flies, the dressing may be more necessary to catch anglers than fish.
    Last edited by Mark; 03-05-2017 at 05:15 PM.
    Mark

Olive Hobie Revo 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com