Marshall Hall Meet and Greet 3/11/17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall Hall Meet and Greet 3/11/17

So the March meet and greet will be held on Saturday March 11, 2017, at Marshall Hall. It's a great spot down in southern Maryland, and it's a free launch with a large parking lot and 2 boat ramps (in case there's lots of boat traffic coming in and out while we are launching). It's located at the end of MD 227 (Marshall Hall Road), and is a great spot that I have fished twice now from my kayak. I am by no means an expert, but I did catch my PB fish from a kayak, and PB blue catfish in general, from this spot at the beginning of the year. As far as timing, I'm thinking everyone arrive so they can launch by 8:30am at the latest. I know it's a long drive for many of us. I'm going to try to get there around 7:30 am so I can have my kayak all prepped and on the cart ready to be led to the water, and then just check to make sure everyone arrives and see them off. High tide looks to be at 7am, so assuming 30 mins to an hour of slack tide, anytime between 7:30-noon should be great for fishing. Low tide is supposed to be at 1pm. I was thinking we eat lunch at 2pm, probably at Accokeek Seafood like last year. I didn't make lunch at last years M&G, I was too stubborn to leave the fish I had just started catching late in the day. I'm open to suggestions to a different lunch location, or a different start/end time, just post here in the thread and we will try to get a consensus. Looking forward to a great meet and greet, and as always, wear your cold weather gear please. Drysuits, waders/dry top combo, etc. I imagine the water will be in the low 40s at most, so falling in would be extremely hazardous in a matter of minutes, and please fish near at least 1-2 other people at all times. For spots to try, recommended tackle, and other tips, I will refer you to last years thread. Last year, nightcrawlers were the best bait for me, but raw chicken breast was the ticket when I was there on 1/1/17. I would bring a variety of baits, whichever you feel comfortable with, as well as fishfinder rigs with J-hooks or circle hooks, 1-4 oz sinkers, and I also like to use the double hook bottom rigs as well. Again, as you'll read in last years thread, it helps to have a small float about 4-8in from the hook, to keep the bait off the bottom in prime feeding territory for blue cats. They can get very large here, as you'll see in previous posts by me and others, but the typical size range I would say is between 16-24in, prime eating size. Watch out for spines, and keep plenty of sanitizer and rags handy for bait, and the catfish slime in general, it gets everywhere. Also, blue catfish are an invasive, though a very well established one in this area at least; thus, I encourage everyone to keep/kill whatever they catch that's at least within that prime eating size range, and anything large than 30in can be left to your discretion. I will have a decent sized cooler, so any fish you don't want to bring home can be given to me (I owe my neighbors some fish), or any of the other members, the fish are quite tasty. Hope to see you all there, and I look forward to a safe and fun Meet and Greet. Who's in?

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...=marshall+hall

I will most likely fish this- weather dependent...and the seafood was good- at least the fried clams I had were...I didn't hear anyone complain..and cut bait and night crawlers seemed to be the ticket last year- I personally use and recommend fishfinder rig with Owner circle hooks...and I will donate all my fish over 30 inches...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I'd like to come, but dependent on getting back from convention.....if I go I'll also eat lunch

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Would love to go but have other commitments.
        2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

I'm in! Hopefully this year my car doesn't die the night before.

Count me in for fishing and lunch

Comment

Marshall Hall is just the MD or VA license right? No DC license necessary?
            J

Comment

No DC license...

Comment

Awesome thanks!
                J

Comment

I'm in for fishing and lunch.
                  Keith

2015 Sand Hobie Outback

2017 Orange Camo Vibe Sea Ghost 130

2015 Camo Ascend FS12T

Comment

So just to get a head count, so far I've got:
                    Yakmac (fishing and lunch)
                    Jman (at least fishing?)
                    Ronaultmd (fishing and lunch?)
                    BarefootPetr (fishing and lunch)
                    and myself obviously for both.

I actually will be much closer to the launch site, since I will be staying at my gf's parents place over the weekend...so I will probably arrive at 7-7:15am and would like others to still shoot for an 8 or 8:30am launch time. Then, I say we try for a 2:00pm lunch time, and I will have to leave lunch by 3 at the latest. But if everyone's arriving at different times, and staying later, obviously I will just settle my tab and head out. Looking forward to a good M&G, it would be nice if there were more people, but if there's only 5-8 of us, it would be easier to try the spot that I've had good luck with in the past. We could cover a lot of different depths along the same general area, but we can discuss that when everyone arrives on saturday morning.

Comment

I won't be able to make this one, I had an unexpected change of plans. Hope the weather's nice!
                      J

Comment

Originally posted by Jman View Post
                        I won't be able to make this one, I had an unexpected change of plans. Hope the weather's nice!
                        They are calling for snow as of now.

Comment

I would have loved to come but since I am pretty new to kayaking, I have not gotten a drysuit. Any suggestions on a dry suit that is warm or a dry combo? Just not too pricey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

A lot of Kayakers use stocking foot breathable waders and a dry top...and long John insulated underwear

Comment

Yeah many people go with the waders/dry top combo, that's what I used to do until I got my drysuit, a kokatat hydrus 3L. I got it on sale for $500, which is not cheap, but about 100 less than usual. Most decent suits run from 450-600, then your Gore-Tex ones are in the 800-1000 range. Ebay is a good source to find used, or overstock drysuits at cheaper prices, but you might not get the same factory warranty. Warranties for most suits are 1-3 years, but mine, and the higher priced ones above mine, have lifetime warranties from kokatat. But like I said before, I used to use a set of cabelas insulated waders, tightly belted, with a drytop overtop, with a second belt, just in case. Drytops aren't too pricey, you could probably find one used on ebay for 50. Another thing to consider is mythic drysuits, a lower priced entry model drysuit. The main advantage IMO of drysuits, is that they have the option (more like necessity) of relief zippers. My fishing trips are at minimum an hour drive, so I'm always sucking down coffee on the way, and on the water, the relief zipper comes in handy, sometimes many times. Otherwise, you're just holding it for the whole time you're fishing, or having to paddle to shore to take a leak.

Comment

Working...
                              X